2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2016 1:08 PM by Peter M

DNS Unlocker - Cannot get rid of it no matter what I do

tbmmanchester

Hello,

I don't know how I got infected by it, but I have tried and tried and tried to get rid of DNS Unlocker and failed. There are so many posts on the internet about how to get rid of the virus, but none of them work. Can someone please, PLEASE help?!

Cheers,

Tom

• 1. Re: DNS Unlocker - Cannot get rid of it no matter what I do
          cohbraz

Hello! Have you manually checked your computer DNS settings? They may still be screwed up.

Try this:

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings

Right-click your active internet connection and click properties.

Under the Networking tab, scroll down until you find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Highlight that then click on properties

Both options for obtaining IP address and DNS server address in this windows should be set to automatic for a typical home network user. The first option should be set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and the second should be set to "Obtain DNS server address automatically." If you have a static IP address setup for your network, leave the IP address set as is, but change the DNS setting to automatic.

Once you are finished, click "OK" and close the windows. Restart the computer.

See if that takes care of the issue. If you are still having problems, you may need to reset your browser back to default settings.

To reset Chrome:

1. Open Chrome.
          2. In the top right, click the menu icon
          3. Click Settings.
          4. At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
          5. Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
          6. In the box that appears, click Reset.
          • 2. Re: DNS Unlocker - Cannot get rid of it no matter what I do
            Peter M

Moved this to Home User Assistance sub-forum and sorry this was overlooked where it was.

This may also help, a reliable guide:  Remove "Ads by DNS Unlocker" virus (Uninstall Guide)

Peter