5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2016 2:52 PM by groundskeeper

VirusScan Enterprise Excessive Resource Usage

acnettitude

Hi all,

My first post here, hoping to get some insight on this...

We have all corporate machines running McAfee VirusScan Enterprise and HIPS.

From what I've been told (I'm reasonably new at this company), VirusScan runs a full check on Fridays.

We had about 5-6 people on the Friday just gone (11th March) complaining about how slow their computers are running, only to find that disk and CPU utilisation by McAfee was excessively high.

My question is: Is this normal and can anything be done to reduce the resource usage? Or is this a widespread issue and is there maybe a patch being developed for this?

Please note: The computer that provided the screenshot is a very high power machine and the memory usage of the application below it (LogRhythm Console) is normal - this does not affect the PC's usual running capabilities. Other machines that have consistently average RAM utilisation were still experiencing this issue.

The machine of the screenshot provided was running the following versions:

HIPS build number: 8.0.0.3363

Agent version: 4.8.0.1938

VirusScan Enterprise version: 8.8.0.1445

All computers are managed centrally via the ePolicy Orchestrator, so they will all be running the same versions, as far as I'm aware.

I hope this is sufficient information for anyone to respond.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Anthony