1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2016 11:35 AM by Peter M

Help finding simple change to settings?

billwoo

EDIT: SORRY. I just saw the about button at the end of the page. Gee thanks for making that and every popup non-copy/pasteable with Windows.

About McAfee LiveSafe
      McAfee Security Center 14.0 3/11/16
      McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware 18.0 3/12/16
      McAfee Personal Firewall 15.0 2/11/16
      McAfee WebAdvisor 4.0 (no date)
      McAfee Anti-Spam 15.0 3/13/16 content update
      McAfee Parental Controls 16.0 2/11/16
      McAfee QuickClean and Shredder 14.0 2/11/16
      McAfee Vulnerability Scanner 4.0 2/11/16

One more thing to add below: I have a one year version that came on a new box, thus I ignorantly didn't know what I have!

end EDIT

Desktop. Windows 7 Pro. I have a condition right now where I can't get rid of the green and white "McAfee WebAdvisor" pane that says "Tested Daily" on top. It appears when you mouse over the green checkmark next to links. Starting last hour, they just won't disappear when you mouse away.

I'll bet it's a glitch that will go away when I reboot. But there's a bigger problem. How the $^&$ do I navigate to toggle features?

/rant and background info ON/

This is going to sound trollish. Sorry, I'm p---ed. But after spewing about the great time waste that has been thrust on me, relax, I will communicate efficiently and meaningfully. However, first I want to lay the scenario out completely.

Let me quickly mention that I am a 30 year P.C. programmer veteran, very advanced, but have no experience with McAfee. A 1 year trial came on my latest desktop. So I'm not an idiot user like my mother, rest her soul. I may be missing something obvious, but someone at my level shouldn't have this much confusion with simple usage of the product. I don't say this to brag; I just want you to know you're not suffering with one of those who doesn't know what a mouse wheel does.

First I should tell you what I have. The only start menu item I have is McAfee LiveSafe. I have come to gather that that means that I have about 6 products in one. I find no help/about. There are no menus anywhere for me to browse. I can't tell you what version or versions I have because I see nothing to reveal this. That is ridiculous. Moving on though:

/rant and background info OFF/

** MY OBJECTIVE IS SIMPLY TO TOGGLE OFF WebAdvisor. I JUST WANT TO SEE IF I CAN DO IT even if it's not in my best interest. I have located 3 possible clicks for that. Every one of them just puts me on an informational webpage that tells about WebAdvisor, like an advertisement, but *not* somewhere I can change the settings. FYI that page is

http://www.siteadvisor.com/howitworks/index.html?lang=en-us&lcid=1033

The 3 things I tried, every %^&*ing one of which would seem to be where I adjust settings (not get to read an advertisement for the feature) are

1. Home LiveSafe page / Navigation link on right (gives Navigation Center) / Features / Web Protection

2. Home LiveSafe page / Web and Email Protection (on upper center of page)

3. Home LiveSafe page / Manage security / Web and Email protection (on upper center)/ Web protection (at bottom)

Then there's

4. Home LiveSafe page / Navigation link on right (gives Navigation Center) / General Settings and alerts (gives page that says "customize your McAfee environment and control the types of messages we send you"). It has 5 available "popups." Each of the 5 yields one meager checkbox. You can't turn features or specific protections on or off in any of them. Customize your environment? Not even close.

I'm out of brilliant ideas to do this simple task. A half hour here, a half hour there (and a good half hour to write this question) and you have to ask, what %^&*ing idiotic interface would require more than half a minute to find something so basic? This is not just a rant. McAfee, if you read the forums, maybe you will understand the process that both a novice and an advanced user would follow - and waste time, LOTS of time, mainly because there are not MENUS where everything can be drilled to. Besides which, I still don't even know what product I have.

** Punchline **

I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW TO TOGGLE OFF WebAdvisor

Sorry for venting so hard. I'm really not a troll. Just had to yell as I'm furious at the substantial and needless time waste. Mc: just put $%%&ing menus in the product so I can drill everywhere. Christ.

• 1. Re: Help finding simple change to settings?
          Peter M

Your software is a multi-device one.

You can toggle off WebAdvisor in your browser add-ons.   You may have to restart the browser for it to take effect.

The other components are controlled from within the user interface.

Help is available either by clicking Help over at the right of the interface and Help again or you can opt for McAfee Support which is free by phone or online chat.

Sorry is that all you are asking?...(Trying to make sense of your rather long post and then the Edits/Punchline) so forgive me if I've omitted something.

• 2. Re: Help finding simple change to settings?
            billwoo

Summary of my entire first post, setting aside the tons of context there:

What do I need to click to turn off WebAdvisor?

Thank you for replying. Your answers are such that any less-than-experienced McA user would not understand, but it makes sense to start off with brevity and expanding where useful. So,

A browser add-on? Do you really mean I need to add a McAfee Firefox add-on to change McA settings? (I am using Firefox, v. 44)

What user interface? Is there a switchboard somewhere? Where I can turn on and off components?

That's great that you provide phone support, great, and I will use it if I must, but I hate burning other people's time as well as my own. This shouldn't rise to the level of burning phone support time should it?

Okay, you can forget everything that I've said, except the list of products. What do I need to click to turn off WebAdvisor?

(Or for that matter, AntiVirus or Firewall or anything else?)

I went through a long explanation of the steps that I tried. Maybe you were just so shocked that someone couldn't find something so basic, that you couldn't see that I'm just asking how to turn the product elements on and off.

• 3. Re: Help finding simple change to settings?
              Peter M

What do I need to click to turn off WebAdvisor?

Thank you for replying. Your answers are such that any less-than-experienced McA user would not understand, but it makes sense to start off with brevity and expanding where useful. So,

A browser add-on? Do you really mean I need to add a McAfee Firefox add-on to change McA settings? (I am using Firefox, v. 44)

WebAdvisor is different, it is a browser add-on, so you have to go into browser settings (i.e. add-ons or extensions) to turn it on and off.  It's regular settings are obtained by clicking just to the right of the small icon at the top-right of your browser bar on any web page.

What user interface? Is there a switchboard somewhere? Where I can turn on and off components?

The GUI a..k.a.  SecurityCenter that opens up when you double-click the taskbar icon, or the short-cut in your Start Menu or on your Desktop.   It sometimes takes a while to open btw.

That's great that you provide phone support, great, and I will use it if I must, but I hate burning other people's time as well as my own. This shouldn't rise to the level of burning phone support time should it?

No but it's always there if you need it.  Or simply bookmark this:  Contact Support

Okay, you can forget everything that I've said, except the list of products. What do I need to click to turn off WebAdvisor?

(Or for that matter, AntiVirus or Firewall or anything else?)

I went through a long explanation of the steps that I tried. Maybe you were just so shocked that someone couldn't find something so basic, that you couldn't see that I'm just asking how to turn the product elements on and off.

When SecurityCenter opens it looks like this: (click to enlarge)

Capture.JPG

Clicking each area reveals a whole bunch of settings for various aspects of the software.

I should point out that, under PC and Home Network Tools is Vulnerability Manager.  By default it is scheduled on...you may want to turn it off so you can decide when it runs.

Also, under Virus and Spyware Protection, the antivirus scheduled scan is likewise on by default.

There are also a number of general settings available under the Navigation link at the right side.

Back to WebAdvisor, I don't recommend turning it off unless you also have a backup browser protection installed.  I use WOT - Web Of Trust personally, but that's up to you.

Most WA pop-ups have a don't show me this again option which is handy.  It will also vet anything you download.

If I've missed something please do not hesitate to ask.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Help finding simple change to settings?
                Peter M

That latency you are seeing with popups that wont fade away is probably due to your browser cache.  Try clearing your history.  With Firefox you can be quite selective on what you clear.

But if it persists I would contact Technical Support,. link provided earlier.

Also make sure you are totally up to date in all aspects including Flash/Shockwave Players etc.

• 5. Re: Help finding simple change to settings?
                  billwoo

GREAT answer. You considerately hit everything.

Bottom line, it turns out that the one thing that I tried to do was the most non-standard aspect of the product. What luck. I see now that toggling Firewall, real time A.V. scanning, work logically; only WebAdvisor is strange. For future Googlers, to toggle those, go "McAfee LiveSafe" from Start Menu, click "Home" on the right edge. Click "Manage security" button on the middle of the Home page. Then there are big boxes you can drill into.

As to the original problem of the little WebAdvisor "Tested Daily" box, it disappeared after I rebooted, so we may never know what that was. By the way, this particular momentary "popup" does not have a "don't show me this again option."

Since you went to extra trouble - what a guy - I'll speak to other items you covered.

Yes, in Firefox 44, there is a McAfee dropdown in the upper right corner. Maybe I'm stupid and put it there myself and forgot. Perhaps it got there during first-time-usage of McAfee.

In my Win 7 Pro, there is no McAfee toolbar item (or hidden one). The only way I can find into the product is McAfee LiveSafe.lnk under All Programs. (and the add-on for that)

And as to why I want to toggle it, first, I had the temporary nuisance of the persisting "popups"; second, what if it really got in the way on some page and I just wanted it to stop nagging with one quick action; third, Firefox has lately been nightmarishly unstable (It crashes or hangs many times each day), so turning off WebAdvisor is one diagnostic effort.

Finally, as this is sort of "free" I shouldn't *****. Yes and no I think there. I don't know if McAfee eats the cost of a free trial year or if it was built into my P.C. cost. Even if McAfee eats the cost as a promotion to latch onto new hardware buyers, it will probably work in my case; I'll probably pay to renew if it seems to be doing the job on the main fronts (does protect; doesn't offend machine response or resource usage; and has a practical interface!).

It also didn't escape my notice that you ended with "If I've missed something please do not hesitate to ask."

4 stars on your effort. SOLVED.

• 6. Re: Help finding simple change to settings?
                    Peter M

Good, strange you are missing that taskbar icon though, maybe it's hidden?

This may help: 

Notification Area Icons - Hide or Show System Icons and Notifications - Windows 7 Help Forums

More links at the bottom of that post.

It may be lost due to some registry cleanup perhaps (a procedure I do NOT recommend).

Probably would only return if you uninstalled/reinstalled as per TS101331.

More useful links....perhaps:

Peter.gif

Toronto ▪ Canada

Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
                    I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
                    Use Advanced Search To Find Answers
                    How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
                    How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
                    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
                    Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

• 7. Re: Help finding simple change to settings?
                      billwoo

Well I already knew there's no toolbar icon, and none in the Win7 "hidden toolbar icon" section. But I'm glad you gave the link because it spurred me to check toolbar properties/customize - and it's listed there, and says

McAfee

Software not set up

As to TS101331 maybe I'll work up the courage. It will feel awkward to gamble on uninstall/reinstall since I don't have the comfort of a physical disk to reinstall with.

By the way I also avoid registry cleanups. Quite a mess if they make any wrong assumptions.

EDIT: You did such a great job, I hope you see my next post, regarding a confusion with quarantine.

• 8. Re: Help finding simple change to settings?
                        Peter M

Well you could try running the Virtual Technician and see if it fixes things without a reinstall.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

"Not set up' I've never seen that but it may mean that the software was never activated or the account was never verified.

Try the MVT and see what it says.

• 9. Re: Help finding simple change to settings?
                          billwoo

I know I'm activated; I see I have 300 or something days left. I downloaded and ran mvt.exe. Seems like a real nice tool, and not as dramatic as the earlier idea!

It found one. I clicked "more detail" rather than autofix, to see it; it said

VirusScan 18.0.7058

incorrect registry setting.

(Hey, McAfee, make all your windows respect Control-C, please!)

I let it fix it. Funny, it requires a restart, but first asks if it worked! I had to tell the survey that it worked!

So it seems like it was good that I ran it, although the icon is still "Not set up."  (Even hovering doesn't say McAfee, but I determined which (hidden) icon was McAfee by right clicking all of them. Experienced users like you would recognize the shield icon as McAfee, but when you mouse over it, it just says "Software not set up" .)

I can right click the icon and open LiveSafe and check for updates and scan and change settings and View My Account and Get Help - I tried several which all worked. So the only issue appears to be that "not set up" thing.

1 2 Previous Next