4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2016 10:22 AM by pierce

    ePO 5.3.1 - Extensions error, wont finish installing and reboot ePO server process wont start

    pierce

      Hey,

       

      So I checked in the new mcafee client proxy, it complained about help unable to install and some other pieces that were already installed but generally seemed to install the core extension fine however I didn't validate this apart from checking the new extension was there and policy was updated.

       

      A few days later I tried to check in the newer VSE management extension, this hasn't completed after 24 hours. I rebooted the server to clear the stuck running tasks and then ePO process will no longer start up(Apache and event parser still work) The ePO

       

      My feeling is that an extension didn't install cleanly and is causing problems, how can i validate or check this?

       

      I had a snapshot before I rebooted so restored to that so the processes are still up and working with support, but so far they were telling me SQL username and password must be wrong (despite showing them a fully working ePO server before restarting services and it all going bad....) Just wondering what ideas the community has for validating my speculation this is an extension problem or any other things to check or look at.

       

      thanks,

      Pierce

        • 1. Re: ePO 5.3.1 - Extensions error, wont finish installing and reboot ePO server process wont start
          frank_enser

          Hi Pierce,

           

          I would first check the epoapsvr.log at <installdirectory>\DB\Logs for errors. After that check <installdirectory>\Server\logs for errors.

           

          Regards,

          Frank

          • 2. Re: ePO 5.3.1 - Extensions error, wont finish installing and reboot ePO server process wont start
            pierce

            Cheers Frank, have looked through the \DB\Logs\ and nothing of interest.

             

            In \Server\logs\orion have lots of these events for pretty much every extension

            WARN  [http-nio-8443-exec-48] dao.CatalogDAO   - cannot parse the release date:2013-03-23T13:56:42for Component:McAfee Agent Help

            and a few of these that map to approx install time of extension

            ERROR [http-nio-8443-exec-17] services.DownloadService  - SQL Exception trying to update products strings.

            java.sql.SQLException: Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_EPOSoftwareCatalogStrings'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.EPOSoftwareCatalogStrings'. The duplicate key value is (1, label, 1033).

            and

            ERROR [http-nio-8443-exec-27] ui.Recovery      - java.lang.Exception: CRC failed

             

            Also just noticed that under extensions in GUI i have an "unknown" and can't find the mcafee client proxy extension. Going to give mcafee support another call see if they can trace this properly this time.

            • 3. Re: ePO 5.3.1 - Extensions error, wont finish installing and reboot ePO server process wont start
              frank_enser

              Ok, your database has a problem:

              pierce wrote:

               

              java.sql.SQLException: Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_EPOSoftwareCatalogStrings'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.EPOSoftwareCatalogStrings'. The duplicate key value is (1, label, 1033).

              and

              ERROR [http-nio-8443-exec-27] ui.Recovery      - java.lang.Exception: CRC failed

               

              You should check the database integrity with DBCC. But not without a current db backup! And point your McAfee supporter to the database error (and make sure he understands, that this is no username or password error).

               

              And I hope you also got a db backup before the extension installation, so you can perform a disaster recovery if needed.

              • 4. Re: ePO 5.3.1 - Extensions error, wont finish installing and reboot ePO server process wont start
                pierce

                Thanks Frank, has another chat with Support and got a much more skilled tech this time.

                 

                In the orion logs we found the key event when restarting the services pointing to the fact the MCP extension did not match the database (database looking for version 1.2, application server thinking it should be 2.1.1)

                 

                The tech worked on fixing the database record and deleting the extension file from ePO. Restarted services and they worked, then checked in extension again and all seems good again, just a few mcafee client proxy issues to resolve.

                 

                Answer = contact support or revert to database and application snapshots/backup