I hope this article will help you to identify corrupted policy.
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately the article does not help because according to the article all AP Policies in our environment should be fine. Means that categoryid and section names looks like in the default McAfee AP policy.
Unfortunately not, I have still an open SR.
First the support asked me to check if the AP Policies are corrupt:
"You can identify the corrupt policies by viewing the attributes (click to edit policy) and it will not show the contents. Also it will show as blank, in accessible."
As this is not the case the following are the suggested steps from McAfee (which I have not performed so far):
- Backup the VSE policy and VSE policy assignment and remove the extension and rechecking.
- After rechecking in, you will import the VSE policy and the VSE policy assignment (use the same version of VSE extensions that you removed) This will create new policies and tables and would help in upgrading the Extension.
But be careful, after removing the Extension all your policies are gone and all clients would receive the default polices until you have sccessfully reimported the policies. To avoid that you have to disconnect the ePo Server from the Network.
As already mentioned, I haven't performed these steps so far because I noticed that ePo Hotfix 1124228 seems to resolve an issue with extensions:
This hotfix supersedes HF1117371. HF1117371 was packaged with an
updated version of a Java library that was found to be incompatible with
some ePO product extensions. With this updated hotfix, the incompatible
library has been replaced with the version originally packaged with ePO.
I think I will install the hotfix this week and hope that it will resolve the issue.
I just opened a SR as well.
What version ePO server are you running? I am on 5.1.1 HF1.
I have checked all of our AP and OAS policies to make sure they are not corrupt and all of them seem to populate. I do not like other option about disconnecting the ePO from the network and "bouncing" the extension, I think a lot could go wrong.
I haven't applied HF1117371 or H1124228 as I have not seen it pop up as needed for me as of yet.
I have the same issue but have not yet opened a SR. Same version of EPo 5.1.1 HF1.
I am on 5.3.1 with installed Hotfix 1117371.
I also don't like the suggested solution provided by McAfee/Intel Support, that's why I haven't performed it so far If I remove the extension and would not be able to reinstalling it, that would be worst case.
I will update this thread as soon as I have installed hotfix 1124228 and if it resolves the issue.
Maybe your SR brings some more light into the darkness.
I will let you know what my SR yields.
chiming in also... SR open, no results yet.