2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 5:22 AM by ja2013

VSE 8.8 reboot after installation ?

retegraf

Hi,

With ePo 5.3.1, in "Product deployment", i made a task for the deployment of Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8.

The installation of VSE is OK but at the end of the task is not displayed the reboot message (necessary, i suppose).

Why ? Is this a normal behaviour ?

Note that in "Policy Catalog" -> General -> My Default the option "Prompt user when a reboot is required" in marked ON (also "Force automatic reboot after 60 seconds" but NO REBOOT and NO Prompt for reboot).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ciao.

• 1. Re: VSE 8.8 reboot after installation ?
          rmetzger

Hi retegraf,

Welcome to these forums.

retegraf wrote:

With ePo 5.3.1, in "Product deployment", i made a task for the deployment of Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8.

The installation of VSE is OK but at the end of the task is not displayed the reboot message (necessary, i suppose).

Why ? Is this a normal behaviour ?

Note that in "Policy Catalog" -> General -> My Default the option "Prompt user when a reboot is required" in marked ON (also "Force automatic reboot after 60 seconds" but NO REBOOT and NO Prompt for reboot).

I think the operative word here is 'Required.' McAfee / Intel Security has done everything in it's power to reduce the need for Required Reboots,

Though it may be recommended, as continued running without a reboot may cause a depletion of system resources, a reboot is not Required immediately. (Even VSE Patches which updates McAfee drivers, may not need to immediately reboot. The existing pre-patched drivers will continue to operate until the next reboot which will allow for their replacement. Until the reboot, new features provided in the upgrade, will not be available.)

Required reboots may be needed if prerequisites for the completion of (VSE, SysCore, McAfee Agent) installation are installed that themselves require a reboot before the next stage of installation can proceed. This might be some Microsoft OS component or driver update that has requested a Reboot to continue. (Perhaps coming from one of hundreds of Microsoft HotFixes coming from Windows/Microsoft Updates, etc.) If this is the case, a Required reboot prompt should happen, based on your setup.

If your systems are reasonably up to date and 'VSE is OK' then I would say 'This is a normal behavior.' I would recommend rebooting the systems at a convenient time in the near future.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Ron Metzger

• 2. Re: VSE 8.8 reboot after installation ?
            ja2013

Hello! That policy setting implicitly tells a given product to show a reboot message if it needs to reboot. If you do not want any reboot message to show, turn it off. Products like DLP and de will issue this msg.

Vse does not needs reboot typically.