For anyone curious as to how we fixed this we changed it to check the IP before the hostname and it seemed to work normally, while our DNS is in great condition for lookups it would appear this is some sort of bug in the ePO.
Glad your problem was resolved. For successful agent deployment from ePO, you must be able to map admin$ share. Some workgroup systems may fail to install agent and you get vague error message like these in the server task log despite having proper credentials:
Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: Access is denied.
Typical reasons for such failures may include:
- The Client computer is down or not accessible (check physical connection, is the network port up?)
- "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is not enabled in the network adapter of the client computers. (type ncpa.cpl and check nic card property)
- Microsoft Firewall blocks the process. (disable or turn off firewall)
- Third-party Firewall blocks the process. (turn off firewall)
- Administrative Share (Admin$) on the client computer might have been disabled. (see - Can't access ADMIN$ share using a local user account – Support )
Perform some basic network troubleshooting. This indicates a problem with the workstation or network.