1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2009 9:21 PM by nyokie

Failed Installation of ePO 4.0

Hi all,

One of my colleagues is having difficulties with the install of ePO 4.0

The environment is as follows

Windows 2003 R2 SP2
      20 GB fre on HD
      1GB of RAM

The following applications are installed (Not a definitive list)

Sophos Enterprise Console
      MS WSUS 3.0
      MOM 2005 agent

The install is using SQL 2005 express installed locally.

Other factors include

Security template used during server build (complex passwords required)

The installation continues all the way through untill the very end and then fails - proceeds to rollback. The log files do not really give to much away.

I have read complex passwords can be an issue, but the install worked on a VM using the security template therfore it seems to rule this out.

Anything to specifically look for in the log files that will assist us in identifying the cause of the failure?

Regards
      Gerry 'frustrated' Nicol
        • 1. RE: Failed Installation of ePO 4.0
          To add to the Initial post the following has been extracted from the EPO400-Install-MSI.LOG log file

Property(S): CreateAgentRetry = Setup has failed while trying to create the agent package.

Property(S): PackageCheckinRetry = Setup has failed while trying to check-in a package to the repository.
          • 2. Resolution
            This was due to an issue with the apache install and was corrected as follows.

2 - TO solve the issue you need to enable the 8.3 Naming :

Click Start, Run, type regedit and click OK.
            Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3N ameCreation

Right-click the key and select Properties.
            Modify the Value data from 1 to 0.

3 - Restart the computer.

4 - Run again the installation
            • 3. Not resolved
              Hi Gerry,

In my VM machine (Win 2k3 R2 SP2), the value of registry key NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation is already set to 0. I am still facing same issue while installing ePO 4.0. Did you change any other configuration settings in Windows?
              • 4. RE: Failed Installation of ePO 4.0
                Jeetmenon, I have spoken to my colleague and he has advised that no other settings were changed. The only other thing McAffe advised was to carry out the installation from the console and not to use RDP.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help.

Gerry
                • 5. RE: Failed Installation of ePO 4.0
                  I had a similar problem.
                  To resolve it, I uninstalled the current version of ePO3.6.1 and reinstalled it, then procedded to do the upgrade to 4.0 and it worked.

I also made sure to temporarly change my admin password to something with regular text.

Don't forget to back up your DB!
                  • 6. Problem installing Patch 2 over ePO 4.0
                    Hi! I'm having same problem with ePO 4.0 Patch 2 installation over ePO 4.0. Three wierd lines in log appear:
                    Property(S): CreateAgentRetry = Setup has failed while trying to create the agent package.
                    Property(S): PackageCheckinRetry = Setup has failed while trying to check-in a package to the repository.
                    Property(S): ServerTaskRetry = Setup has failed while trying to migrate server tasks to the new server.
                    Nothing from previous advices helped. Any ideas?
                    • 7. RE: Problem installing Patch 2 over ePO 4.0
                      I'm having same problem with ePO 4.0 Patch 2 installation over ePO 4.0 too. Same three lines.
                      Property(S): ServerTaskRetry = Setup has failed while trying to migrate server tasks to the new server.

Please help!
                      • 8. RE: Problem installing Patch 2 over ePO 4.0
                        Any fixed this problem?
                        Because I've the same problem here. :(
                        The tip for not using a RDP session worked for a small part.

Now Im running against the same problem:

anyone?
                        • 9. RE: Problem installing Patch 2 over ePO 4.0
                          tonyb99
                          have you actually read the readme that comes with the basic install and then applied the issues that it raises?

so you have ruled out all these issues...

• During a first-time installation, the agent installation is handled as follows:
                            [LIST]
                          • The agent extension is installed.
                          • The agent 3.6.0, Patch 2 deployment packages (product and languages) are checked into the master repository.
                          • The agent 3.6.0, Patch 2 is installed on the ePO server.

[*]During an upgrade, the agent installation is handled as follows:

• The agent extension is installed.
                          • The agent 3.6.0, Patch 2 deployment packages (product and languages) are not checked into the master repository.
                          • The version of the agent in the master repository is installed on the ePO server.
                          • The agent 3.6.0, Patch 2 product and language packages are copied to the Imports/Agents/InstallPkg and Imports/Agents/LangPkg folders, respectively, in the installation directory (default is C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator).

Note: To check in agent deployment packages manually, first install the desired language packages (under Imports/Agents/LangPkg), then install the product package (under Imports/Agents/InstallPkg).
                          [*]Using extended or double-byte characters in the global administrator or database user name or password might prevent the software from installing successfully. To workaround this issue, install the software using a Domain User that has a “simple” password. After the installation, log on to the ePO server, go to https://<SERVER>:8443/core/config, change the credentials to a User Account with a “complex” password, then restart the ePO services.
                          [*]If the ePO server is in a workgroup, using Windows authentication on remote database servers might prevent the installation from completing successfully. To resolve this issue, use SQL authentication.
                          [*]When upgrading, the installation fails if the Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) service is enabled. Before upgrading, ensure the MOM service is disabled.
                          [*]When upgrading, if the “admin” user on the current installation has had its role changed to a reviewer, the default permissions of the ePO user “admin” overwrites those of the current “admin” user, resulting in privilege escalation to global administrator for this account.
                          [*]During an upgrade if you select a database server with an existing ePO database, you are prompted whether to delete it. Before answering yes, be sure that the database has been backed up if needed. To select a different database server, answer no.
                          [*]Before installing with a local SQL 2005 Server, ensure the TCP/IP port of the SQL server is enabled. If the TCP/IP port is not enabled, enable it, then restart the SQL server service before beginning the installation. If this port is disabled on a local SQL 2005 Server, the installation fails.
                          [*]When installing on a system with a local SQL 2005 Server installation, the SQL Server name does not appear in Database Server, and instead appears in Domain.
                          [*]Installing ePolicy Orchestrator on a system with a name that contains an underscore in it fails.
                          [*]To successfully install ePolicy Orchestrator, 8.3 file naming must be enabled on the server because paths within the installer use extended characters.
                          [/LIST]
                          1 2 Previous Next