4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2008 10:04 AM by chadt

Deployment options do not work?

I have been testing the deployment of HIPS 7.0 to a few machines. Unfortunately, HIPS 7.0 restarts the network connection during the install. I would like to minimize the impact to our users by deploying HIPS "At System Startup" or "At Logon" rather than a specific or randomized time. I've been told by Tier 2 support that neither of these deployment options work in ePO 3.6.1 while running agent version 3.6.0.574. I can't understand why these deployment tasks are even an option if they don't work and from what I gather have never worked. Will this be fixed before agent version 4.0 is released? If not, when can we expect agent version 4.0 to be released?

Here's the email from the "Gold Support Engineer", who by the way never responded to related questions when I replied to his email on 3 seperate occasions:

"You have the deployment task scheduled to run "At logon". Unfortunately this setting does not work. This will be fixed in the next version of the agent (4.0). You will need to change the task to run daily or another appropriate time."
        • 1. RE: Deployment options do not work?
          tonyb99
          CMA 3.6 patch 1/2/3 dont support logon tasks anymore (pre 3.6 agents did)they were hopefully going to fix this in CMA 4.0, if you look at the stickys on this board you will see a thread wheree I advised of this.

So yes he is correct and yes its a known issue with these agents.

Agent 4.0 you are looking at JUN or NOV according to the updated patch release schedule they adopted last year where they release 3 times year.
          • 2. RE: Deployment options do not work?
            Thanks for the response. You mentioned "at logon" scheduled task is not supported, is the "At System Startup" task not supported as well?
            • 3. RE: Deployment options do not work?
              tonyb99
              No idea would never use that task.

This was the info from Tier II that I got when I orginally raised this:

Scheduled ePO tasks with At logon set as the scheduled task time will not run on computers running CMA 3.6.0 Patch 1
              Environment [SIZE=2]

McAfee Common Management Agent 3.6.0 Patch 1 (3.6.0.546) Microsoft Windows

Problem

Scheduled ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) tasks with At logon set as the scheduled task time will not run on computers running CMA 3.6.0.546 (Patch 1).

NOTE: Computers running CMA 3.6.0.453 do NOT experience this issue.

Solution

McAfee is investigating and will address this issue as soon as possible. If you experience the symptoms listed, contact McAfee Technical Support and reference this article number to have a case created and escalated.
              [/SIZE]To find the appropriate telephone number for McAfee Technical Support, go to: http://www.mcafee.com/us/about/contact/index.html. Non-US customers select your country from the list of Worldwide Offices.
              Alternatively, log a case in the ServicePortal via http://mysupport.mcafee.com. See KB42016 - Creating an online case from ServicePortal.

IMPORTANT: The following files are required before a case can be escalated:
              - ePO Minimum Escalation Requirements (MER) files
              For Information on downloading the MERs for each McAfee product, refer to NAI33333.

- Ensure the escalation checklist has been completed.

Workaround

Enable the option Run this task at every policy enforcement interval within a scheduled ePO task to run the task when a policy enforcement occurs on computers:
              Log on to the ePO console. See KB42032 for information on logging on to the ePO console.
              Click Directory.
              Click the Tasks tab.
              Double-click on Deployment task.
              NOTE: This issue has been seen with any scheduled task in ePO set to run At logon with CMA 3.6.0.546 so any task can be selected here.

Click Settings.
              Deselect Inherit and ensure that Run this task at every policy enforcement interval is selected.
              Click OK.
              Click the Schedule tab.
              Deselect Inherit and select At System Startup from the drop-down under the Schedule Task section.
              Click OK.

Step To Reproduce

Install CMA 3.6.0.546 (Patch 1) on a computer.
              Log on to the ePO console. See KB42032 for information on logging on to the ePO console.
              Click the computer that is running CMA 3.6.0.546 under Directory.
              Click the Tasks tab and double-[COLOR=black]click on Deployment task.[/COLOR]
              NOTE: This issue has been seen with any scheduled task in ePO set to run At logon with CMA 3.6.0.546 so any task can be selected here.

Click Settings....
              Deselect Inherit and ensure that Run this task at every policy enforcement interval is NOT selected.
              Click OK.
              Click the Schedule tab.
              Deselect Inherit and select At logon from the drop-down under the Schedule Task section.
              Click OK.
              Right-click on the computer selected in Step 3 and send an Agent Wakeup Call....
              Wait about 5 minutes so the task can be sent to the computer and reboot the computer from Step 3.

Actual Results: Task does not run.

If you want more you will have to log a call with them yourself
              • 4. RE: Deployment options do not work?
                Well I would like to use the "At System Startup" task but it's not working, so I can only assume that it is included with the "At Logon" issue. I am puzzled as to why McAfee can release a new agent and then patch after patch and never resolve this issue. If I would have known this before upgrading to the latest agent, I would have never deployed the upgrade.