4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 10:39 AM by lafédé

How to delete OldEngine Folder

lafédé

Hello,

I have a problem, I want to save disk space on many workstations.

In order to win this space, I want to purge OldEngine folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Engine\OldEngine.

How I can do that? Can I do it by EPO? I need to do that on 200 computers.

Thanks!

VirusScan : 8.8.0.1445

Engine 5800.7501

EPO : 5.3.1

• 1. Re: How to delete OldEngine Folder
          rmetzger

Hi lafédé

lafédé wrote:

I have a problem, I want to save disk space on many workstations.

In order to win this space, I want to purge OldEngine folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Engine\OldEngine.

Though this may not be the answer you were looking for, I see only about 150 MB of space taken by C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Engine\OldEngine directory. Unless you are seeing something really different, this may not be worth the effort. The vast majority of space taken up in OldEngine is going to be repopulated with the next daily DAT update.

Good luck,

Ron Metzger

• 2. Re: How to delete OldEngine Folder
            lafédé

Hi Ron,

This workstations are Thin Clients with Windows Embedded Standard.

They have 4 GB of disk space, so 150 MB that is the grail!

Have a nice day.

• 3. Re: How to delete OldEngine Folder
              rmetzger

lafédé wrote:

This workstations are Thin Clients with Windows Embedded Standard.

They have 4 GB of disk space, so 150 MB that is the grail!

Tight space! My C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Engine\  uses about 0.5 GB. However, these files are critical to the smooth operation of VSE. That is why they are protected from deletion.

If you want to delete these files, I would suggest contacting Tech Support and getting their approved method of reducing disk space.

It would seem that OldEngine contains files that will repopulate each day. And, you will still need additional temporary free space to create the RunTime version of the DAT file with each daily update.

Perhaps Tech Support or your Sales Rep has alternative solutions for Thin Client systems.

Here is a document on this topic: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60902&actp=null&viewloca le=en_US&showDraft=false&platinum_status=false&locale=en_US

VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 support for Windows Embedded

Hardware - Minimum supported requirements

• A writable, persistent storage drive. The hard disk drive used must be C:
              • A minimum of 380 MB of free space on drive C: before installing VSE.
                This includes 130 MB for the VSE and the ePO Agent files, and 250 MB for temporary workspace during the installation process, DAT files, and backups of DAT files.

So, Supported solutions may be limited.

Good luck,

Ron Metzger

• 4. Re: How to delete OldEngine Folder
                lafédé

Thanks for your replies.