4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2016 8:13 AM by rmetzger

VSE 8.8 Patch 6 Updating Scan Engine and McAfee Agent questions

anvin0001

I am running McAfee VSE 8.8 on Patch 6 (UNMANAGED) and currently my Scan Engine is 5700.7163.

My question is, would all future Scan Engines be updated by the Auto Updater or do I need to download them?

Second question.

I have McAfee Agent is 4.8.0.1500, but since I am running an Unmanaged environment, does the McAfee Agent need to be updated or can I just leave that as it is?

Will it be Ok to run at older versions if I am not on a Managed client?

Thanks

• 1. Re: VSE 8.8 Patch 6 Updating Scan Engine and McAfee Agent questions
          rmetzger

Hi anvin0001,

anvin0001 wrote:

I am running McAfee VSE 8.8 on Patch 6 (UNMANAGED) and currently my Scan Engine is 5700.7163.

My question is, would all future Scan Engines be updated by the Auto Updater or do I need to download them?

I have not seen Unmanaged versions update the Scan Engine to 5800.xxxx yet. Seems the only way I can make that happen is by running  a fresh install using an image created by McAfee Installation Designer (MID) that includes the 5800 engine. In the past, McAfee provided a SuperDAT engine update (.exe format), but this seems to no longer be available, due to the complexity of updating the engine and the limitations of the SuperDAT program. Perhaps someone at Intel Securithy/McAfee will update or provide a new SuperDAT engine update.

anvin0001 wrote:

Second question.

I have McAfee Agent is 4.8.0.1500, but since I am running an Unmanaged environment, does the McAfee Agent need to be updated or can I just leave that as it is?

Will it be Ok to run at older versions if I am not on a Managed client?

You can download newer agents using your Grant Code. The newer v5.x agents exist, but for the most part, the updates seem to be geared toward improving ePO functionality or required with the newer versions of ePO. Agent Updates are probably not needed for Unmanaged clients.

Hope this helps.

Ron Metzger

• 2. Re: VSE 8.8 Patch 6 Updating Scan Engine and McAfee Agent questions
            rmetzger

anvin0001 wrote:

SNS Weekly Roundup (January 12) wrote:

2. January 5 - 5800 Engine Auto Update scheduled for January 20, 2016

On January 20, 2016, VirusScan Enterprise and other Intel Security Enterprise products that use the Anti-Malware Engine will automatically update to the 5800 Engine as part of the daily DAT update. The DAT update on this day will include an additional ~3.5MB of data due to the 5800 Engine binary being included.

If you do not want to automatically update to the 5800 Engine, Intel Security recommends that you make the necessary changes in your configuration before the update occurs.

For more information and instructions to prevent products from automatically updating to the latest Engine, see the following KB articles:

For more articles about preventing other Intel Security products from updating to the latest posted Engine, see: http://mcaf.ee/86w17

So, as long as you have the minimum patch levels of VSE (VSE 8.7i Patch 5 + Hotfix 1038699 or later and for Windows 10, VSE v8.8, provided patch 6 is also installed) should update automatically. Therefore, no need for the MID solution I suggested earlier.

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

• 3. Re: VSE 8.8 Patch 6 Updating Scan Engine and McAfee Agent questions
              anvin0001

I am running Windows 10 with McAfee VSE 8.8 PATCH 6 installed with current DAT 8045.

As I posted, I an running this as Unmanaged only without any ePO server involved.

I ran the Auto update task many times and still do not get the latest Scan Engine to 5800.

Why is this?

Or, as I see the posting above, will I get the Scan Engine update on Jan. 20 ??

• 4. Re: VSE 8.8 Patch 6 Updating Scan Engine and McAfee Agent questions
                rmetzger

anvin0001 wrote:

Or, as I see the posting above, will I get the Scan Engine update on Jan. 20 ??

Yes, 'starting' Jan 20, in phases.

Please excuse my obtuse answer above. I always write with 2 reader (groups) in mind as part of a Public forum. You, the opener of the questions AND those who are lurking. So, I answer for the broader question others lurking may have. Yes, I read your Unmanaged, Patch 6 portion of your question, but simply answering Your portion of the question may be misinterpreted by others not unmanaged and Patch 6. Sorry for the confusion.

Hope this was helpful,

Ron Metzger