1 2 3 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 3:12 PM by Peter M

Facebook’s Kaspersky scan knocks out McAfee on Windows 10

JackYan

Yesterday, Facebook blocked my access to its website on this computer, claiming it to be malware-infected, and refusing to let me in unless I downloaded, through them, a Kaspersky anti-malware tool. After installation, this tool does not appear in my list of programs, nor does it ever complete its run (stuck at 62 per cent).

What is more worrying is that after a reboot, and a repeat run (since Facebook was still blocking my access to its site), McAfee was disabled. Windows 10 warnings came up telling me that I was unprotected. McAfee itself was fine, saying that I was protected, but Windows no longer recognized it. McAfee Firewall was not a trusted app, apparently. And despite my opting for McAfee for my antivirus protection, Windows 10, while Kaspersky ran, selected Windows Defender instead. There is no way to turn McAfee back on as the program of choice for any service.

Personally I don’t believe this malware claim for a second, and since McAfee was my malware tool of choice, too, I don’t think you believe it, either. I’ve fought Google over false malware accusations, so it wouldn’t surprise me there was some malice behind it all. And given that this has knocked out McAfee, this earlier article from The Next Web suddenly gains a lot of credibility.

In fact, the moment I came to the McAfee website, the Windows 10 anti-virus and firewall warnings went nuts, no doubt due to some change Kaspersky and Facebook have put in to my system.

Here are some screen shots that are quite worrying, too.

Kaspersky knocks out McAfee.png

Cannot turn on McAfee.png

Your thoughts are welcome.

Postscript: the mere act of sharing this thread on Facebook will have the website go all crazy. On both Linux and Macintosh, I get the following. It is in French, but essentially it says the computer is infected with a virus or malware, just because I pasted a link to this site.

Facebook claims Mac is infected.png

• 1. Re: Facebook’s Kaspersky scan knocks out McAfee on Windows 10
          Peter M

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance as a precaution and for better support.

That first warning Facebook gave should have been a cue to use some extra tools to scan for malware.  Antivirus products are all good but are not 100% guaranteed to block everything.

Fortunately for you, you at least have Windows Defender protecting you at the moment.  In 10 it is an antivirus.  The Kaspersky scan was probably only a cursory online scan.

See the last link below.  Try running GetSusp to hopefully identify it and send it to the labs.  If you want to be notified by the labs of the result insert your email under Preferences before running it.

Then run a scan with MalwareBytes Free, make sure you read the instructions on how to keep it free and if this infection prevents download, note that it can be installed, updated and run all in Safe Mode with Networking.

See this link: Windows 10 Forums

Or you can use the Chameleon method outlined in that link below.

Once you've cleaned the infection your  McAfee software should be configurable.

Toronto ▪ Canada
          Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
          I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
          Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

• 2. Re: Facebook’s Kaspersky scan knocks out McAfee on Windows 10
            Peter M

BTW I just read your line  "on Linux and MacIntosh"... these instructions are all written for Windows.

• 3. Re: Facebook’s Kaspersky scan knocks out McAfee on Windows 10
              JackYan

Hi Peter: thank goodness for your response. You helped me out many years ago on another McAfee-related issue, which I subsequently blogged positively about.

The original issue is in Windows, so your instructions are perfect. I'll give them a go now. I only went on Mac and Linux to see what was going on, and found out that the mere act of posting a McAfee link would result in a virus warning.

• 4. Re: Facebook’s Kaspersky scan knocks out McAfee on Windows 10
                Peter M

Glad to help, yes I think I remember that occasion.   I'm getting a bit long in the tooth as they say, but still trying to help where I can. .  What I failed to mention although it is listed first thing in that last link above - you could try to wind back the clock to before it all happened using System Restore.

• 5. Re: Facebook’s Kaspersky scan knocks out McAfee on Windows 10
                  JackYan

Hi Peter: well, I for one hope you stick around because you're incredibly helpful to us.

Getsusp is all clean, and Malware Bytes reported a few PUPs, but I already knew about them (and in at least one case intentionally installed).

Malware Bytes seems to have restored McAfee as the antivirus program. Windows hasn't told me but at least the notifications about an unprotected system aren't coming up any more.

Facebook, of course, is still blocking me from using its site if I go to Windows, so I am presently trying the System Restore to see what happens.

Thank you again! I'll update this thread after the Restore.

• 6. Re: Facebook’s Kaspersky scan knocks out McAfee on Windows 10
                    JackYan

Hi Peter: the System Restore failed, saying an antivirus program was running, preventing it doing its job. I suspect it was the Kaspersky scan and not McAfee, as I have restored this machine once (in mid-November) and it was very speedy that time.

The good news is that McAfee is back as the rightful security program, so your understanding that Malware Bytes would sort it out was correct.

Should I remove Malware Bytes now that it has done its job?

I then proceeded to delete Malware Bytes from C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\FBScanner_331840299, where it resided, deleted all cookies mentioning Facebook and Kaspersky, and I was able to reenter Facebook.

It looks like the antivirus that Facebook gets you to use is the virus itself.

Thank you, Peter, your advice was incredibly helpful once again and my system seems to be back to normal.

• 7. Re: Facebook’s Kaspersky scan knocks out McAfee on Windows 10
                      catdaddy

JackYan,

If I may add, you can keep Malwarebytes  (Free) onboard as a compliment to your McAfee Protection. Simply update it before scanning, and remember to not Activate or accept the Free Trial. Glad to hear you are up and functioning properly.

All the Best,

CD

• 8. Re: Facebook’s Kaspersky scan knocks out McAfee on Windows 10
                        Peter M

I've never experienced that Facebook/Kaspersky thing so haven't any idea what it's about, I suggest a Google search on that matter.   Meanwhile go to Kaspersky's website and look for their removal tool and run it, can't harm.

• 9. Re: Facebook’s Kaspersky scan knocks out McAfee on Windows 10
                          JackYan

Hi CD: thank you for your advice, I will keep it on my system in that case.

There are still a few tiny issues and I’m coming to the conclusion it’s a Facebook account databasing error somewhere (given the warning messages on every platform). But the important thing is I can now access Facebook on my main Windows 10 PC.

1 2 3 Previous Next