1 2 3 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 2:49 PM by gallee

McAfee Internet Security scans only while screen is unlocked

jimwae

I have McAfee Internet Security on Windows 10.

Ever since I upgrades to Windows 10 the virus scan pauses when I am NOT actually working on my computer and resumes ONLY when I am working on my computer.

I thought it might have had something to do with upgrade to Windows 10, so I have COMPLETELY uninstalled & reinstalled McAfee. That did not help.

I got support from McAfee via CHAT.  The rep told me that ALL McAfee AVs have been changed to run ONLY when the screen is unlocked.

I have confirmed that on my machine, the AV scan halts right after the screen is locked.

I do not have my computer go to sleep. I just have the screen lock after 2 minutes of inactivity, requiring a password to get back on.

It seems UTTERLY RIDICULOUS that McAfee would INSIST that we all REDUCE SECURITY on our computers for an AV scan to continue  -- thereby letting anyone able to get to YOUR computer  also able to use your accounts.

My scans start at 2:00 AM on Mondays

As of 2:30 PM on Monday, only 5% of the scan had been done.

The only alternative is to sit at my computer for the 8 hours or so it takes to do an AV scan. Of course that means that while the scan consumes resources EVERYTHING will run slower than normal.

If the rep was correct -- and my experience indicates he was -- McAfee has said GOODBYE to overnight scans.

This is just so utterly ridiculous - it's like they are trying to see how ridiculous they can be before they lose so many customers that their company will go bankrupt.

• 1. Re: McAfee Internet Security scans only while screen is unlocked
          catdaddy

I am running Windows 7 Sp1, and have my 'Power Settings' to go into 'Hybrid' Sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity. Also I leave my Machine on for several days, then shut down for a period and start all over again. As for my 'Scheduled Scans'  I have them set weekly to commence @ 4:00am. Before I come online for my daily obligations.

This enables me to be online without a Full Scan occurring.

Generally the scan takes around 1 hour 35 minutes / 180,000 files or more, no issues.

In over 10-12 years I  have never experienced any problems with getting infected/exploited....'Knock on Wood'

In other words, I have seen no reason to 'Lock Down' my system at night.

All the Best,

CD

• 2. Re: McAfee Internet Security scans only while screen is unlocked
            catdaddy

jimwae,

I might add that the length/amount of time in order to fully scan your system can vary. For many different reasons, such as High Latency/Available resources/number of files on your system/ and on and on. I could not imagine it taking (8) hours to scan?

Perhaps one of my Colleagues will pick up this thread ,and add to the discussion.

Wishing you all the Best,

CD

• 3. Re: McAfee Internet Security scans only while screen is unlocked
              jimwae

My scan at 4:50 PM (just under 3 hours in of actual scan time) is at 37% with over 1/2 million files so far.

When I say my screen is locks, all I mean is that after 5 minutes, a user is required to enter a password to login.

It's the same as Windows-L.

This would be EXPECTED practice in an office - IT people in many offices could be FIRED if they did NOT use this security setup.

People also COMMONLY do this at home - particularly if they do not live alone.

--

The guy I was with on CHAT said he was reading it right from a paper - was he just trying to get rid of me?

• 4. Re: McAfee Internet Security scans only while screen is unlocked
                jimwae

Just to reiterate - this did NOT occur before I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

But the rep said it was NOW (recently) true for all versions of windows.

So, I figured the 2 changes coincided.

[BTW: Scan at 62% for 595,000 files after 3.5 hrs of actual scan time ( but 16 hrs since it initiated then paused, because I was not using the computer, but WAS logged on) ]

---

on a separate matter...

Why are my new posts refused until I FIND a way to login again - even though I AM logged in?

• 5. Re: McAfee Internet Security scans only while screen is unlocked
                  Peacekeeper

Re log in this a forum software issue it will be fixed in the next upgrade of the software. We all see it just relogin when it asks. Ie you get an orange bar across the base of the page?

Re locking issue you mean setting the screen saver correct? If so I tested this for a similar thread recently and the scan was continuing though the saver was active but not password protected ie logon screen option  so I will test this again now.

Ok screen saver starts when scan at 30% I renew screen ie move mouse and type in password of login and scan at 58% . That seems to say it does not stop. I wonder what I am doing different

• 6. Re: McAfee Internet Security scans only while screen is unlocked
                    jimwae

Yes re screensaver---- BUT set to ask for password on resume. It's the same as Windows-L.

• 7. Re: McAfee Internet Security scans only while screen is unlocked
                      Peacekeeper

Mine asks to log onto windows  that the same I will retest again later with a longer wait.

• 8. Re: McAfee Internet Security scans only while screen is unlocked
                        jimwae

Windows 10 lock screen is different from previous versions. It has a separate wallpaper and does NOT immediately have option to login -- you need to click through it.

When I do login I find the scan has paused.   Sometimes it resumes on own, sometimes I have to click the resume button.

• 9. Re: McAfee Internet Security scans only while screen is unlocked
                          Peacekeeper

Not what I see yes the logon screen 1 page down but the scan has been continuing.. I wonder 1 setting I have differnet is in navigation/General settings and alerts / General settings I have the wait till idle setting as not selected. Should not affect this but worth a look.

that said what is the job number you got when you called support? I will ask our contact to check transcript and get his thoughts. It maybe delayed as area he is in is flooding atm.

1 2 3 Previous Next