6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 4:13 AM by elewaali

Did upgrading VSE870 to VSE880 require new license???

elewaali

Did upgrading VSE870 to VSE880 require new license???

• 1. Re: Did upgrading VSE870 to VSE880 require new license???
          rmetzger

No.

Your License allows the use of all supported products versions (within the license suite purchased) as well as downloading of those products.

The number of nodes installed is up to you to monitor and control. Further, VSE is licenced for 1 yr, 2 yr, or Perpetual. This means that VSE will continue to run for that period (1, 2, or forever).

However, the License provides a Grant Number which is for a Period of time allowing for continued downloads of software (based on the product suite you purchased) and to receive Support from McAfee / Intel Security.

VSE v8.7 or VSE v8.8 does not contain the License or Grant Number within.

Good luck.

Ron Metzger

• 2. Re: Did upgrading VSE870 to VSE880 require new license???
            faycal.boulkara

You just need a valid grant number.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Did upgrading VSE870 to VSE880 require new license???
              dinu007

No it does not require new licence, you need to check in package in repository & deploy the same.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Did upgrading VSE870 to VSE880 require new license???
                elewaali

Thanks for Clarification, i was confused because my local reseller keep asking to purchase new license for each machine, my current license is Perpetual.

• 5. Re: Did upgrading VSE870 to VSE880 require new license???
                  rmetzger

elewaali wrote:

Thanks for Clarification, i was confused because my local reseller keep asking to purchase new license for each machine, my current license is Perpetual.

Just to be clear:

1) You need a License for each node. That includes servers, workstations, laptops, mobile devices, etc. Your license is Perpetual, up to the node count.

2) With the initial purchase of a License (node count), usually comes 1 Yr. Support (more years are available) which provides a Grant Number.

3) Your Grant Number allows for updates to DAT files, upgrades, downloads of entitled products, and Support from McAfee.

4) Grant Numbers (support) expire, even if you have a Perpetual License. You need to purchase support periodically.

So, your local reseller may be trying to extend your support, or maybe trying to provide the Correct node count.

If you feel that your reseller is confusing you, reach out to McAfee directly to better Clarify your needs.

If your company is growing, you may need to increase the node count. I usually try to estimate the node count growth within the next 5 years, and purchase the node count to the next band level. You will have to do the math on that. Purchasing Support is considerably less cost than full license purchases. If both are needed, I would suggest contacting McAfee directly, as resellers may not be able to work the best numbers for you as well as McAfee.

Also, depending on the products you have, you may be restricted, for example, the number of ePO servers you can install. Again, contact McAfee to get your questions answered.

Be Safe,

Ron Metzger

• 6. Re: Did upgrading VSE870 to VSE880 require new license???
                    elewaali

- Current license are Perpetual for all nodes and new nodes recently added with new licenses and was supplied with the VSE 8.8 media.

- I do need to download extra files as i already have the installation media supplied with new nodes, however we have a valid grand numbers for other sites

- The descusion with the reseller only about the existing nodes with Perpetual license.