6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 2:05 AM by requ

Port Clustering on IPS Cluster

requ

Hi All,

current I have some like this situation (screen). IPS's works like a cluster.

As You see interface 3A both IPs are on this same VLAN 20 and interfaces 3B both IPS are on VLAN 30. There is asymmetric routing.

So I'm not sure hhow should be configured interfaces. Should I use port clusters or something else, because on switches I see many drops.

Any ideas?

2015-11-24_16h38_38.png

• 1. Re: Port Clustering on IPS Cluster
          peter.mason

Hi Requ,

Are you using the ports in In-line or Span mode?

Are your sensors reporting any performance errors?

What sensor models and software versions are you using?

Peter

• 2. Re: Port Clustering on IPS Cluster
            requ

Hello peter.mason, I'm really grateful for your response,

Are you using the ports in In-line or Span mode?

- Yes 3A-3B is on in-line mode

Are your sensors reporting any performance errors?

- No, I haven't found any errors in ems.log

What sensor models and software versions are you using?

- M-4050 with software 8.0.3.23

• 3. Re: Port Clustering on IPS Cluster
              peter.mason

Hi Requ,

Are you seeing any faults raised for the sensors such as "Fault Device performance - Sensor Throughput Utilization"?

You can run a fault report from the manager by going to "Manage > Reporting > Configuration Reports" and selecting the "Faults" report.

Are the switches reporting drops all of the time or is it only at certain times of the day?

Peter

• 4. Re: Port Clustering on IPS Cluster
                msitko

With 8.0 being end of life since February, you may want to see if 8.1 or 8.2 make any difference.

McAfee KnowledgeBase - End of Life announcement for Network Security Platform 7.5 and 8.0

I'm also confused about your configuration.  Do you have the 3A/B attached to two different ports on the same switch?  If so, it would seem less complex to have the sensor sitting between the switch and router or firewall, or have the sensor in SPAN mode attached to the switch.  I'm not sure if that's the cause of the problem though.

• 5. Re: Port Clustering on IPS Cluster
                  requ

With 8.0 being end of life since February, you may want to see if 8.1 or 8.2 make any difference.

- Yes I now. But NSM is 8.2,  software on IPS M-4050 is 8.0.3.23

I'm also confused about your configuration.  Do you have the 3A/B attached to two different ports on the same switch?  If so, it would seem less complex to have the sensor sitting between the switch and router or firewall, or have the sensor in SPAN mode attached to the switch.  I'm not sure if that's the cause of the problem though.

- 3A/3B are attached on the same switch, but to different vlans.

• 6. Re: Port Clustering on IPS Cluster
                    requ

I don't see any faults on NSM.

Yes, switches reporting drops all of the time.

I spoke with Tier 2, and He said some strange (in my opinion). I should try create Port cluster. As a template use non-used port and then add pair 3A/3B. But it doesn't make sense. Do You agree with me?