5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 3:13 AM by peter.mason

Upgrade NSM to version 8.2.7.71

ricardoraza

When I try to upgrade to this version I have a problem in the process I have the error " database count index error " and the popup said that the index of table packetlog are wrong; I check the table but all is correct.

Please help me with any solution for this problem

• 1. Re: Upgrade NSM to version 8.2.7.71
          peter.mason

Hi Ricardo,

What version have you upgraded from?

Is this a test zone or your production environment?

If this is a production environment you should contact McAfee support, if not have you tried recreating the index on the iv_packetlog table?

Peter

• 2. Re: Upgrade NSM to version 8.2.7.71
            ricardoraza

Hi from the version 8.2.7.46 to 8.2.7.71; is in the production enviroment but I have problem with the support, but I have a server for test and I try to do the same upgrade and have the same problem.

Can you help me with the steps for do the  recreating the index on the iv_packetlog table?

Thanks a lot for your help Peter.

• 3. Re: Upgrade NSM to version 8.2.7.71
              peter.mason

Hi Ricardo,

Are you getting the error when running the installer package or after you have upgraded?

Have you run the check table / repair table command on the iv_packetlog table? Details are available here

How to verify Network Security Platform manager MySQL database tables for corruption

https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=KB60660

This is probably a last resort, but if it's acceptable with your company you could drop the iv_packetlog table and create a new one. You can always restore your backup onto a test server if you need to look at historical data.

How to recreate a missing packetlog table in the Network Security Platform Manager MySQL database

https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=KB60624

The details of how to index the iv_packetlog table are available in the Network Security Platform 8.2 Manager Administration Guide on P228, attached is a link to the documentation.

Network Security Platform documentation reference guide

https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=KB76064

This is the excerpt from the manual.

Packet log database table indexing for MySQL databases

For maximum efficiency with a MySQL database, we suggest that you use the SQL command shown

below to index the iv_packetlog table in the database. This improves performance during alert and

packet log deletion, reducing the amount of time your system is offline when you perform database

cleanup tasks. Note that the index process is time-consuming, and your system will be

non-operational for the duration of the indexing process.

Issue the following SQL command from the MySQL command line: alter table iv_packetlog add

index (creationTime);

I updated some of my test servers from 8.2.7.25 and 8.2.7.47.1 to 8.2.7.71 yesterday and did not encounter any issues with them.

Please let us know how you get on

Peter

• 4. Re: Upgrade NSM to version 8.2.7.71
                ricardoraza

Hi Peter, I tried the firt option but the tables are ok and when I tried to repair the table is impossible for the engine of database, adn I tried to drop the iv_packetlog table and create a new one, and work. but I have a question which information I lose when do this action.

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Upgrade NSM to version 8.2.7.71
                  peter.mason

Hi Ricardo,

Dropping the table is really a last resort, If you drop the iv_packetlog table you will loose all of the packet logs for the alerts in your database.

How big is your iv_packetlog table?

How much free space do you have on the drive?

Are you able to run off line Database tuning?

Have you opened an SR with McAfee Support? They may have encountered this issue before and have a solution or workaround.

Peter