2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 4:59 PM by rmetzger

mcafee uninstall

raypjones

I am working on a computer that has mcafee enterprise but the agent was not reporting in. I tried the standard remove but when I try to re install it I get the message that the program is already installed. I then removed it again and this time went into the registry and removed all aspects of mcafee that I could. I did find however that there were some files that I could not remove even though I was logged in as the administrator. I then tried running the MCPR removal tool and I received a error message Enterprise Software detected. Is there a software removal tool specific for Enterprise?

• 1. Re: mcafee uninstall
          Peter M

Moved to Enterprise/VSE for faster handling.

MCPR is the consumer products removal tool and not suitable for any Enterprise product.

Someone will hopefully help soon.

---

Peter

• 2. Re: mcafee uninstall
            rmetzger

Hi Raymond,

Welcome to these forums.

As Peter stated, MCPR is not the right tool for removing VSE.

At this point I'm not sure at what state you have left the system.

You may need to remove both VSE and the McAfee Agent, then reboot, before re-installing each.

I am guessing that files are currently locked, by design, to prevent malware from doing precisely what you are trying to do.

This self-protection can be temporarily removed.

If VSE is not managed by ePO:

1. Click, Start, Programs, McAfee, VirusScan Console.
            2. Right-click Access Protection and select Properties.
            3. Deselect Prevent McAfee services from being stopped.
            4. Click Apply.
            5. Close the VirusScan console.
            6. Continue to removing VSE and McAfee Agent.

If VSE is managed by ePO:

1. Click Start, Programs, McAfee, ePolicy Orchestrator Console.
            2. Select the directory or computer level where the VSE policy will be changed.
            3. In the right pane, expand the VirusScan Enterprise policy.
            4. Click Edit beside Access Protection Policies.
            5. Click the Access Protection tab.
            6. Deselect Prevent McAfee services from being stopped.
            7. Click Apply.
            8. Send an Agent Wakeup Call to apply the changes or wait for the next policy enforcement to take effect.
            9. Close the ePO console.

Here is a good starting point for removing McAfee Agent (also called Framework Services):

McAfee KnowledgeBase - How to manually remove McAfee Agent 4.x

If VSE is not working correctly, you may wish to remove this as well. Given that you have modified the registry manually, you may be required to remove VSE before correctly reinstalling either VSE or Framework Services/McAfee Agent, as well.

This is a good starting point for VSE removal:

McAfee KnowledgeBase - How to manually remove VirusScan Enterprise 8.x using msiexec.exe

I would reboot at this point to release any file locks that are possibly still occurring. After the reboot, attempt to delete the 'locked files' now.

If these processes just taken were successful, you should be able to re-install VSE and the McAfee Agent again.

If you are still having problems, I would suggest contacting your McAfee Support Rep to help correct these issues.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Ron Metzger