1 2 3 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2017 4:00 PM by petedc

McAfee Agent 5.0.2 issue - System tray icon not showing

DPE

Hi ,

I'm opening this discussion, as i'm having a hard time getting anything useful from McAfee support.

I've tested the upgrade of McAfee Agent from v.4.8.0 to 5.0.2. The updated was pushed to my two test clients through ePO like many times before. I also have DE 7.0.1 on my machines.

The installation of the new agent complete successfully according to Windows event logs. However, after installation the McAfee system tray icon is not showing. If i attempt to start McTray.exe manually, i get an application error thrown by Windows: '’The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022)'.

Looking in the agent logs located under %temp%, i get 'UdatrUI Could not launch McTray'.

have been able to reproduce the  issue by doing the following.

1: Decrypting the PC, thereafter removing the Drive Encryption software and agent.

2: Manually uninstall the McAfee agent using frminst.exe /forceuninstall. Then reboot the computer.

3: Deploy McAfee Agent 4.8.0 to the computer from ePO followed by reboot.

4: Deploy McAfee Agent 5.0.2 to the computer from ePO followed by reboot.

The McAfee product policy is correct, and the checkmark for showing the system tray is set. I am logged on locally when the issue occurs, so it's not a issue with remote session. Also, i have machine-wide admin rights when logged on.

Has anyone got any good ideas on this one? I can reproduce the issue on more than one machine, and so far its denying me the possibility of rolling out the new McAfee agent in my environment.

• 1. Re: McAfee Agent 5.0.2 issue - System tray icon not showing
          gpickers

Hello,

Can you confirm what version of ePO you are using to manage McAfee Agent 5.0.2?

Did you check in the McAfee Agent extension 5.0.2.118 prior to Agent Key Updater + McAfee Agent packages 5.0.2.132?

Please be aware that McAfee EEPC 7.0.x is not supported by McAfee Agent 5.0.2 as outlined here:
          McAfee KnowledgeBase - McAfee Agent 5.0.2 compatible products

Have you considered upgrading EEPC 7.0.1 to a later supported version of 7.1.x and then performing the McAfee Agent upgrade (without having to uninstall the DE)? <- I tested this on my own environment and the McTray operated correctly after upgrade.

Are there any other endpoint products that are running on the test client?

Thanks,

George

• 2. Re: McAfee Agent 5.0.2 issue - System tray icon not showing
            DPE

Hi George,

Thanks for your reply.

My ePO is on 5.1.1 build 357.

Yes, i checked in all available extensions for McAfee Agent 5.0.2 before deploying to my test clients.

I've left out, that i'm indeed also updating Drive Encryption to v. 7.1.3 prior to upgrading the McAfee Agent. I have a system tree group with two assigned clients tasks that run a sequence that first updates Drive Encryption Agent and Software to 7.1.3, whereafter the McAfee Agent is updated to 5.0.2:

2015-11-09_11-09-04.png

2015-11-09_11-10-32.png

2015-11-09_11-11-21.png

The installation of all DR and McAfee upgrades succeed successfully on my client.

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: McAfee Agent 5.0.2 issue - System tray icon not showing
              jhall2

Do you see McTray.exe running as a process?

Does killing McTray.exe and relaunching it result in the tray icon displaying?

If you manually launch the McAfee Agent Status Monitor does the tray icon display?

Command to launch manually:

cmdagent.exe /s

• 4. Re: McAfee Agent 5.0.2 issue - System tray icon not showing
                DPE

Hi jhall2,

No, McTray.exe is not running as a process. And, if i try manually running the McTray.exe from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework\x86'  i get the error described in my first post.

If i start eh McAfee Agent Status Monitor manually i get the status monitor window opened, but still no sign of the system tray icon.

Br,

David

• 5. Re: McAfee Agent 5.0.2 issue - System tray icon not showing
                  DPE

Further, i've now tried to update a Windows 10 machine that was running McAfee Agent 4.8.0 and MNE (instead of my other machines running Drive Encryption).

The issue is the same. McAfee Agent 5.0.2 installs successfully but the system tray icon is not showing itself. Same error as above if trying to run McTray.exe.

So its now an issue on two OS platforms with two different encryption providers installed, although i'm not sure the encryption provider has anything to do with the issue.

Am i the only one getting this?

Also, when looking in the system event logs on both my Win7 and Win10 systems, i see a lot of warnings like the below for macmnsvc.exe and mfehidin.exe:

2015-11-11_08-19-18.png

• 6. Re: McAfee Agent 5.0.2 issue - System tray icon not showing
                    gpickers

Hello,

Out of interest are these machines that you are seeing the issue on running VirusScan Enterprise?

If so can you check the access protection logs when you perform an upgrade to the McAfee Agent 5.0.2?

Alternatively could it be that your environment uses GPO and this is interfering with the McAfee Agent installation?

Apologies I have not been able to replicate the issue so these are just blind suggestions.

Thanks,

George

• 7. Re: McAfee Agent 5.0.2 issue - System tray icon not showing
                      DPE

Hi George,

No, we are not running Virusscan Enterprise. We're running Symantec Endpoint Protection.

We have no GPO's in place that should affect the installation of the McAfee Agent, and as stated i have no issues deploying McAfee Agent 4.8.0, which we've used for a couple years now.

The issue is solely with the 5.0.2 agent. I think ill try to check in 5.0.1 and see if i can replicate the issue with this version of the client.

I a bit puzzled about the event log entries about "signed but untrusted code". Could it be that the software package that i checked in through the ePO Software Managerwas corrupt?

Thanks for your suggestions.

• 8. Re: McAfee Agent 5.0.2 issue - System tray icon not showing
                        nurnay

I'm having a similar issue on Windows 10, except instead of the McAfee Agent icon, I get the VirusScan icon. If I run cmdagent /s, the Agent icon returns. But once I restart, it's gone again and the VirusScan icon is back.

• 9. Re: McAfee Agent 5.0.2 issue - System tray icon not showing
                          DPE

Hi nurnay,

And this is for McAfee Agent 5.0.2 also?

When i run cmdagent /s, i get the McAfee Agent Monitor window opened, however when i close the this window my system tray is still empty for McAfee references.

Do you get the same error message as i when trying to run McTray.exe manually?

1 2 3 Previous Next