1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2015 3:11 PM by exbrit

Registry Files

steve7

I'm using McAfee Internet Security and I run the Quick Clean often.  But I leave the box for registry files blank because I don't want to mess with them.  But I did run check and a lot of registry files came up.   But before I delete them, I'm wondering what the chances are that some of them are good and I need them.

I was thinking about creating a restore point, so if I wind up deleting registry files I need, I can go back before I deleted them.   But would that work?  Would I get the registry files back?  Or would they be gone forever and even going back to a restore point before deleting them won't bring them back?

Quick Clean version 14.0

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Registry Files
          catdaddy

steve7,

This is simply my personal opinion. I have the option for the registry unchecked. I personally never use Registry Cleaners, for quite often than not. Can cause more harm than good. Generally I simply use Windows 'Disk Clean Utility', or McAfee Quick Clean (again without the Registry option).

Maybe a colleague will pick up this thread and add to the discussion.

All the Best,

CD

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Registry Files
            catdaddy

It is my understanding that once you (Delete) them...it is one and done. No recovering them.

Simply meaning no way to recover with Quick Clean. Of course reverting back to an earlier point in time/utilizing a 'Recovery Tool' could work.

I ask myself though, why chance all that effort?

• 3. Re: Registry Files
              steve7

Ok, thanks.  I won't delete them and will continue to leave the box blank.

• 4. Re: Registry Files
                exbrit

steve7 wrote:

Ok, thanks.  I won't delete them and will continue to leave the box blank.

Wise move as there would be no guarantee that even a System Restore would reinstate them.  I advise people not to use Registry Cleaners and that includes that part of QuickClean.  We've had reports of things not behaving as expected afterwards in some rare instances, so personally I don't think it's worth the risk.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Registry Files
                  steve7

Right.

I read your Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools page and AdwCleaner is listed.   Does that mess with registry files? 

Also, I assume Spyblaster can run in the background and not interfere with McAfee (A/V and firewall)?

I already have Malwarebytes.

Thanks for the help.

• 6. Re: Registry Files
                    exbrit

No, AdwCleaner is purely what it describes - removes nuisance advertising "malware"

• 7. Re: Registry Files
                      catdaddy

Thanks Peter

• 8. Re: Registry Files
                        catdaddy

steve7,

I think you are making a wise decision.   Can we consider this thread as 'Assumed Answered? Please do not hesitate to contact us, should the need arise.

All the Best,

CD

• 9. Re: Registry Files
                          steve7

Yes, but just quick follow-up.

The reason why I asked about AdwCleaner and registry files was because on the Cnet review page it says: You'll find scan results in the bottom section of the window, organized into categories like Services, Folders, Files, Shortcuts, Scheduled Tasks, Registry, and more, to facilitate searches.   AdwCleaner - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com    (Bold mine).

Sounds like it's similar to Malwarebytes (free version) in that both go after these things after the fact.   Spyblaster, on the other hand, tries to block them as them come in.  So would Spyblaster interfere with the McAfee A/V and firewall?

1 2 Previous Next