6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2015 8:55 AM by Regis Branched to a new discussion.

In case you missed the significance of that end of life announcement...

Regis

Greetings from FOCUS where I got a bit of a surprise yessterday regarding MEG.   In short, they're killing it.

If you received the SNS message about MEG going EOL a couple weeks back,  and only read to the KB link and thought "2020, I can deal with that,," you may need to read further.  :-)

They hid some important details in the FAQ that's linked from the KB.   If you are on appliances,  especially some a few years old, you have some budget surprises to deal with nowish. 

Your last opportunity to buy new hardware is Jan 11, 2016.   I had one person  tell me that appliances woul go out of support on their 5th birthday, but based on the FAQ you could renew support for 5 years if you buy it by Jan 11?  I need to get clarification on that.  

Anyone have any clarifying info?

Proofpoint is the partner they're suggesting as a go forward strategy.

Ref:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB85857

http://www.mcafee.com/resources/faqs/faq-eol-email-security.pdf

• 1. Re: In case you missed the significance of that end of life announcement...
          swanlee

The whole thing is ridiculous as we just moved from Ironmail to MEG a year ago due to the EOL of Ironmail, Horrible treatment here.

• 2. Re: In case you missed the significance of that end of life announcement...
            Regis

Here's the hardware end of life.  Under appliances, I've learned that our  late 2011 gateways will be end of support in 2016.

McAfee Product and Technology Support Lifecycle - Appliances | McAfee Support  

As a data point:  my client has until January 11, 2016 to buy replacements if they want support beyond Oct 2016 on their particular 5000-B's (see table in doc above for your hardware EOS date).     And they learned about this from me yesterday.  My sales person ... was unaware of that situation (and yours may be too). 

So contact your sales reps now for quotes on new hardware if you need more time than your current hardware may allow.   

Agree swanlee, it is a complete crap situation that Intel's "investment decisions" has put us in, and with a very short timeline.   Particularly frustrating as I finally found some stability under MEG 7.6 and things had been going relatively well for about half a year.  

• 3. Re: In case you missed the significance of that end of life announcement...
              swanlee

Luckily we went VM with all our Meg's so I don't have to worry about hardware support issues. I just can't believe a little over a year after they EOL Ironmail and tell us to transition to MEG they then EOL MEG and tell us to go find another product all together. Just absolutely ridiculous and short sighted. Like they forgot they just did an EOL on Ironmail and maybe it would be wise to support MEG a little longer so those of us that just switched to MEG because of them won't have to switch again.

• 4. Re: In case you missed the significance of that end of life announcement...
                Regis

Yeah it's pretty bad.   Just think of all those folks who submitted to the very HARD sell that was put out there on the next gen firewall last year or the year before that.

As I said to another attendee, you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter:   at least we all now have an excuse to migrate to a solution that has much better protection against all the obvious phishes that make it through the current solution.   Assuming Proofpoint or others do better with that as they do have a sandbox.     And a user interface from the current decade on a Quarantine manager will be nice.     My client is in year 4 of these gateways so our timing could be much worse here, but I do know several like yourself that just got transitioned within the last year or so.   Ugh.

This is one of those times where it's popular to say the annoying line "it is what it is"  and move on I guess.   Assuming there's money findable in the budget to re-make an email gateway investment.

Anyone know what Proofpoint costs per user in the 500-1000 user ballpark?  Feel free to PM me.     Also have reached out to their sales channel.

• 5. Re: In case you missed the significance of that end of life announcement...
                  exbrit

Post just removed due to advertising other brands, not permitted by McAfee/Intel Terms of Service..  Such discussions should really be on an independent forum.

Or private message which can be set up by each correspondent following the other.

Thank you.

Peter

• 6. Re: In case you missed the significance of that end of life announcement...
                    Regis

Even if McAfee sold the business to Proofpoint and told everyone at FOCUS essentially "Proofpoint is our recommendation as we're EOLing MEG.  Sorry." ?