3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2015 10:11 PM by ja2013

Duplicate System Names in System Tree

Pranam D

Experts pls advise.

We are observing duplicate system name entries in System Tree even though thier System name, MAC address and IP address are the same. This is causing reporting and compliance issues.

Please note that they have different GUID and last communication details. What could be the root cause? and When does a client decide to generate a new GUID? Appreciate a quick remedy for this.

This is not happening to every machine in the enterpise but only 10 to 15 % machines and randon.

Agent Verion: 4.8.0.1500

ePO 5.1.2

• 1. Re: Duplicate System Names in System Tree
          jgonsalves

I am also experiencing this issue when upgrading Agent Version from 4.8.0.1500 to 5.0.2.132 using deploy agent function selecting overwrite existing installation.

ePO 5.3.1

Cannot pattern the issue, seems to happen randomly (not all machines) when using deploy agent function selecting overwrite existing installation.

Windows 7 Professional SP1

• 2. Re: Duplicate System Names in System Tree
            tkinkead

I stopped trying to troubleshoot that problem a year ago. Instead I run a scheduled task every day to delete systems with duplicate hostnames out of the System Tree.  When the agent executes a new ASCI, the agent record will be re-created.  In my experience, it will be re-created in the location it was deleted from.

• 3. Re: Duplicate System Names in System Tree
              ja2013

When the McAfee Agent is installed onto a system the very first time, a unique identifier is generated and placed into the systems registry.

From the point forward numerous things can occur.

• Such as if you use ACCC or software like Deep Freeze that freezes the system environment\desktop. That tends to cause sequence errors since the system may be up for awhile and changes
              • Failure to clear the GUID from the registry master image before imaging occurs.

You have a couple of queries that contain the word "sequence". Like sequence errors and without sequence errors. Run the query that shows sequence errors and that may begin to get you closer to how many errors are being reported by systems. Make sure to qualify how long the errors have been generated and don't assume that if you see a large number, the errors are current. You can also clear the error count on a particular system and see if the errors begin to generate again within 24 hours. In that case please refer to the ePO guide for how to clear the error, actually clear the registry key, and regenerate a GUID.

Hope that gives you some direction in which to try.