1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 6:49 AM by ramil

Upgrade from 5.1.3 to 5.3.1 failed hard

ramil

Hello

I'm "slightly" screwed at the moment. Yesterday I upgraded my 5.1.2 ePO to 5.1.3, which went ok and then wanted to upgrade it 5.3.1.

Since there's no direct path from 5.1.2 to 5.3.x, and 5.1.3 to 5.3.0 doesn't work either.

So I left the 5.3.1 installing and I did some other work while it was upgrading (it takes a while). When I checked back my ePO VM,
      installation had finished unsuccessfully.

Something went wrong. What exactly.. I don't know. Now I'm in a point where when I rerun the 5.3.1 installation, it won't find any SQL

servers, the dropdown is gray. (SQL server is located in the same server and is working fine.) I thought I would uninstall ePO and

reinstall it, but uninstall fails pretty much instantly.

Every upgrade from 4.6.x to 5.1.3 had gone without problems, so it made me a bit careless Meaning that server is backed up with

TSM, but database is not and I didn't make a backup before upgrading.

What could cause the SQL issue in ePO installer ?

• 1. Re: Upgrade from 5.1.3 to 5.3.1 failed hard
          ramil

Man, how relieved I am.

I was checking into that 8.3 (DOS era legacy.. seriously McAfee ??) thing and found out that ePolicy Orchestrator directory didn't have 8.3 name.

Which explains why there were "ePolicy Orchestrator not found" kind of errors in some logs, while the directory clearly existed.

I renamed ePO directory, created new directory ePolicy Orchestrator in Command Prompt, checked that it has a 8.3 name now by using dir /x in C:\Progra~2\McAfee.

Where McAfee support was unable to help me, Apache logs pointed me to correct path.

After having done all that, the McAfee services started and the site was up again !

I will make a snapshot of the VM now every time I'm going to upgrade Let my fail be a lesson to all of you who think that what's the worst that can happen