1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 10:59 AM by Peter M

Can't download Internet Security 2016

slaydeuk

I have successfully installed IS 2016 on my desktop PC and my laptop using a software download card (2015 was automatically removed). I am running Windows 10 on both computers. I then tried to do the same on my Asus Transformer, which is also running Windows 10 and has Internet security 2015 installed. but I get no farther than downloading the setup application. When I run setup it tells me that I must restart the computer to reinstall McAfee products. I have tried 8 times to download the program and get the same problem each time. I have uninstalled IS 2015. but this makes no difference. Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Can't download Internet Security 2016
          Peter M

Moved this to Consumer > General Discussion

Try cleaning all traces of the previous installation first using the MCPR cleanup tool:  http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

Turn off Fast Startup as this prevents Windows 10 from doing a complete shut down and restart:  Tutorial here:  Windows 10 Forums

Reboot

If you have successfully installed on one device all future installations have to start from your online account: McAfee Home

(See the log in link at top right) - just add a device there.

Any questions regarding licensing, accounts etc. should go to Customer Service:  Services and Support for Home and Office

Technical Support is also on that page and both are free of charge.

Toronto ▪ Canada
          Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
          I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
          Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

• 2. Re: Can't download Internet Security 2016
            slaydeuk

Thanks Ex Brit for the advice. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have sorted the problem. I have used the cleanup tool three times and each time it appears to be removing the same products. I have turned off Fast Startup (although I understand that the use of ''Restart'' in Windows 10 doesn't use Fast Startup). I have tried the download of IS 2016 three times from my account with McAfee but when I initiate the setup application, which downloads OK, I get the same message telling me that I must restart the computer to reinstall McAfee products. I have tried restarting and also shutting down the computer, but when I then try the setup again I get the same message. Where do I go from here?

• 3. Re: Can't download Internet Security 2016
              Peter M

Then contact Technical Support is your best next step:  Services and Support for Home and Office

• 4. Re: Re: Can't download Internet Security 2016
                selvan

Hi slaydeuk

It looks like the McAfee installer is detecting a previous Installation. Clarify whether the removal tool "MCPR" stated the removal was complete? If it was complete then you would have received a "Restart PC" prompt.

• 5. Re: Re: Can't download Internet Security 2016
                  slaydeuk

Hi Selvan

Yes, the removal tool goes through to completion, apparently removing a program that shouldn't be there, and then requires a restart. I have done this at least three times, the latest being just now. I have tried again to download IS 2016 from my account with McAfee, but get no further than downloading a new startup application. This is still telling me that I need to restart and that's as far as I get. This is now ridiculous. How can the download work perfectly with two computers and fail with a third. I have bought a program which I believe I should be able to install on all my computers. I welcome any more suggestions.

• 6. Re: Can't download Internet Security 2016
                    Peter M

You said earlier that Windows 10 doesn't use Fast Startup, actually it does under a different name, as that Tutorial explains, but as you said it's off then it doesn't matter.

Did you try Technical Support?   It's free by phone, or online chat.  Phone is best though.

• 7. Re: Can't download Internet Security 2016
                      slaydeuk

What I said was that ''Restart'' didn't use FastFast Startup but maybe I got that wrong. As you say, however, I turned it off so it is irelevant anyway. I haven't contacted Technical Support yet, but that is obviously the next move. Thanks for you help. Meanwhile, I am installing AVG as I feel exposed at the moment without any antivirous protection.

• 8. Re: Can't download Internet Security 2016
                        catdaddy

As Colleague Ex_Brit has  stipulated, Technical Support should be able to assist you in regards to getting your Software installed. Due to the fact you have installed AVG, it would be best to uninstall it from your Control Panel/Restart. Then use the AVG removal too as well. To make certain all traces of it has indeed been removed, before contacting McAfee.

This will prevent any conflicts/clashes between both applications.

All the Best,

CD

• 9. Re: Re: Can't download Internet Security 2016
                          slaydeuk

Thanks for all your help. I have been in touch with Technical Support who took over my computer and fixed the problem and installed McAffee. I don't know what the problem was and it took some time for it to be sorted. Anyway, all is now OK. Thanks again to all.

1 2 Previous Next