3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2015 7:22 AM by rolydee

Changing the ePO servername

osheado

We are looking to duplicate a production ePO environment to be used for staging. Rather then duplicate the effort of exporting and importing all the configuration files, we want to take a copy of the prod database for use with the staging ePO server. We did the original install of the ePO in the staging area with all the products and extensions matching exactly. We then tried using KB66616 procedure to configure it to use the copied database however the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 5.3.1 Server service fails to start. I was wondering if there is a different KB article to follow or since this is ePO 5.3.1 can the snapshot be restored or maybe this is an unsupported procedure that will not work.

Any ideas would help. I think for now I am going to go ahead with manually exporting and importing as I am running out of time.  

• 1. Re: Changing the ePO servername
          tomz2

What are you trying to accomplish by having a "staging" ePO environment? Are you planning to manage a separate class of infrastructure that necessitates the delineation between ePO servers? Your agents can't talk to multiple servers, so if you're looking to have a mechanism for testing, then I would suggest re-evaluating, as ePO is incredibly flexible with how you can manage different classifications of devices and products and policies.

• 2. Re: Changing the ePO servername
            osheado

The client is a large organization that requires all changes to be staged in a separate environment where other business units can test the effect on their applications/ I know this can all be acomplished using the functions of ePO but that is currently not an option for us.

• 3. Re: Changing the ePO servername
              rolydee

Hi osheado

Probably easiest solution is to follow the Restore procedure in the Install Guide for ePO 5.3; run the Disaster Recovery Snapshot task on your source server, copy the database to staging, then run the ePO setup and use the "Restore ePO from an existing database snapshot"

You will need to download your products again if you need the Master Repository working, but otherwise I think all the client tasks and policies will be available immediately.