8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 9:03 AM by NatroNx

EPO 4.0 Dash and VSE install

Hi just got EPO 4.0 up and running and have a couple of questions which I can seam to find the answers for.

First on my dashboard under master repository status I have no information it just says: No Information Available?
      Also on my dashboard it has Malware Detection History, which is very high as I think its counting files which have either timed out as they took to long to scan or are encrypted. Can I change this to virus detections? (Would I have to create a query for this?)
      Second a new machine is put on the domain the agent is successfully sent to it, can I also send VSE and Anti Spyware after the agent installs?, or do I have to manually send this out.

I have set the pull task my McAfee to every hour do you guys this is a bit excessive?

Many Thanks

Just remembered Something, I can’t get myavert notifications to work either, I have tried using proxy settings the same as IE, I have tried using no proxy but still no joy.
        • 1. RE: EPO 4.0 Dash and VSE install
          I am having the same problem...
          Everything else seems to be working apart from the myavert bit.

All that it is saying is "No Information Available
          The latest MyAvert information was not successfully retrieved from McAfee."

Proxy and going through no proxy is not updating this...

Anyone with a solution?

Thanks
          • 2. RE: EPO 4.0 Dash and VSE install
            metalhead
            To get Myavert working you need a connection to myavert.avertlabs.com Port 8801.
            As oort 8801 is not a standard port either your epo server or your proxy server needs to be allowed through your firewall.

For the report "problem": As you guessed right the report is also showing "Timed-out" files as malware. To get around this you need to edit the report behind the dashboard view. There set a filter to exluded these events.

Software can be installed via creating an agent produkt deployment task in the clienttask section. There you can specify the products the agent should install.
            • 3. RE: EPO 4.0 Dash and VSE install
              Many thanks for the reply.
              However the port is already open...

testing out the page opens aswell with no issues.

any more solutions?

thanks in advance.
              • 4. RE: EPO 4.0 Dash and VSE install
                Still haveing problems with MyAvert, but at this time i can live with that.

With the software deployment, would i create a new client task and tell it to install the agent and VSE. Would i need to create it at the root of my tree?, so that every time it syncs with AD and pulls a new client in, it would get the deployment task?

Thanks
                • 5. RE: EPO 4.0 Dash and VSE install
                  metalhead
                  The deployment task will only run on clients which already have the agent. So the agent install option in your deployment task is only for updating extisting agents.

to deploy an agent via an AD sync task specify the deploy agent option in your ad sync task. Also you need a report which checks for clients without an agent version and deploy the agent on a regular basis to them. This is because the ad sync task will only try to deploy the agent once to a system when it is imported to the system tree the first time. if the system is switched off at this time the deployment does not work via the ad sync task.

Normally you set a deploymenttask where you want to deploy software to, e.g. if all clients shoudl get VSE you create it at the root and set VSE to install.
                  • 6. RE: EPO 4.0 Dash and VSE install
                    Thanks Metalhead.

We have had a few problems with EPO 4.0 so far, as in we couldn’t open the Agent Policy because we had too many Distributed Repositories.
                    I raised a call with MacAfee and it went to Tier 3. We had to check in a new agent extension, which sort of works but takes about 10 minuets to get into the agent policy.

Anyway I have created a New Deployment Task for clients with VSE and Antispyware and one for Servers with just VSE (These are disabled, as I don’t want VSE to try and install onto machines that already have it installed).
                    When Epo syncs with AD an agent is sent to the client and installs, all good so far.
                    So I have these clients or servers sitting there with just an agent on.
                    When I look at my dashboard I can see them in my Non-Compliant summary (like they should do).
                    Questions are A) How do I get VSE to install on all of these machines (they are in differant OU's) as I can’t 'send to all' or assign a Deployment task to them all. I can move them into a new OU, and install from there, by having a Task set to run all the time. (Is this the way to do it) if it is it’s a bit of a ball ache.
                    B)Can it be automated? Like modify tasks and many clients?
                    Also are there any good user guides for creating the Reports.

Many Thanks
                    • 7. RE: EPO 4.0 Dash and VSE install
                      metalhead
                      > We have had a few problems with EPO 4.0 so far, as in we couldn’t open the Agent Policy because we had
                      > too many Distributed Repositories. I raised a call with MacAfee and it went to Tier 3. We had to check in a
                      > new agent extension, which sort of works but takes about 10 minuets to get into the agent policy.

Like a McAfee techie told me it is a problem with a badly designed HTML table to display the reps ;-)

> Anyway I have created a New Deployment Task for clients with VSE and Antispyware and one for Servers
                      > with just VSE (These are disabled, as I don’t want VSE to try and install onto machines that already have it
                      > installed).

If you push the agent to a client which already has VSE installed in the same major version as you deploy it via ePO it will not be reinstalled. The agent recognizes already installed software.

> Questions are A) How do I get VSE to install on all of these machines (they are in differant OU's) as I can’t
                      > 'send to all' or assign a Deployment task to them all. I can move them into a new OU, and install from
                      > there, by having a Task set to run all the time. (Is this the way to do it) if it is it’s a bit of a ball ache.

If company policy sais you must have a VS on every machine then create a product deployment task at the top level for all clients. I would recommend to always create client tasks at the top level -you can disable it there and enable it at the groups you need. The benefit is that you see all created clienttaks at the top level.

> B)Can it be automated? Like modify tasks and many clients?

afaik no. But as mentioned you probably do not need it.

> Also are there any good user guides for creating the Reports.

afaik no, too. It´s a wide playground wink
                      • 8. RE: EPO 4.0 Dash and VSE install
                        where can I configure this options? Didn't find it in the tasks or anywhere else..