6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2015 12:04 PM by jwood.mls

VSE 8.8 patch 6 keeps disabling on Windows 10

jwood.mls

Myself and a coworker have noticed that on Windows 10, it seems that when there is an update for VSE on Windows 10, it keeps wanting it to be re-enabled.  As a secondary issue, though, currently my notifications show that VSE is disabled in Windows 10.  When I go into the Security and maintenance area, it shows McAfee VirusScan Enterprise with Status of "Off" but will not let me enable it.  Again, in another area in the notification area, when I click on it being disabled, it says that I believe shstat.exe has been blocked and do I want to enable it.  Is there a way to get this stuff enabled permanently on Windows 10?  Doesn't seem like it really works if it won't stay enabled.

• 1. Re: VSE 8.8 patch 6 keeps disabling on Windows 10
          mmjlz

Hi,

we have the same problem here. Any advice?

• 2. Re: VSE 8.8 patch 6 keeps disabling on Windows 10
            jwood.mls

I still have this happening to me.  I actually called support when I was first having problems and the person I talked to seem to think that VSE wasn't installed right on my machine, so he walked through the process with me of redeploying and said it was fixed.  Shortly afterward, it started doing the same thing again.  Apparently at least some of the support staff aren't sure what is going on, in this case then.  Wish we had some of them reading on here to give suggestions.

• 3. Re: VSE 8.8 patch 6 keeps disabling on Windows 10
              wwarren

I haven't had any such reports reach my ears...

The communication between VSE and the Windows Security Center is facilitated by a DLL that is loaded in our service called McTaskManager, which is hosted by the process VSTSKMGR.EXE.

A quick/simple validation check is verifying this process and service is running.

On a related note, we've been dealing with product+WSC sync issues since 8.8 Patch 2. Each patch release makes some relevant code change to address a field-reported problem with the prior release, associated with Windows Security Center.

Patch 7 includes yet another change, and should be the last change we see for a while in that area of code (until something new gets reported to us).

... and it sounds like you're experiencing something new .

If you happen upon a system with a reproducible symptom, make sure the above service/process is running - and if it is, take a VM of the system in that state and note anything helpful for how the system is/was used.

If the process is not running, that's likely the source of the issue - and we'd then want to discover why it's not running.

• 4. Re: VSE 8.8 patch 6 keeps disabling on Windows 10
                jwood.mls

The computer I've seen this on is my own.  I looked and it doesn't appear that vstskmgr.exe is running.  It seems like on several Windows 10 systems, I've seen it pop up asking if vstskmgr.exe should be unblocked, which seemed odd.

I'd love to figure out why it isn't running on mine.

• 5. Re: VSE 8.8 patch 6 keeps disabling on Windows 10
                  wwarren

I suggest contacting Support.

We'll want you to run 2 tools in tandem, and then attempt to start the service. The tools are:

Process Monitor.

ETLTrace (an internal tool of ours)

I suspect Vstskmgr.exe is attempting to start but is finding a reason to quit. The only other explanation is it's crashing - but if so, that should be leaving evidence behind in the Application Event log (indicating an application crashed, event ID 1000).

• 6. Re: VSE 8.8 patch 6 keeps disabling on Windows 10
                    jwood.mls

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.  This install of Windows was an insider install that I converted over.  Maybe it is being flaky.  I just replaced that machine with a regularly installed image and will see if it works okay and if not will contact support.