4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 1:15 AM by mtorabi

McAfee Agent Communication Problem

mtorabi

Hi fellas,

I successfully deployed McAfee agent on 20 workstations (windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2012 R2) and they were good but now after a few days some workstations got a problem, the agent on the workstations can't communicate with ePO server, I mean when a press the Check New Policies button on the clients nothing happens. in addition this workstations become into gray color on the McAfee Agent Compliance Summary in ePO web console.

Also i checked the agent log file on a client "C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Agent\logs\masvc_<Computer Name>.log" and i saw this:

2015-09-29 09:57:08.134 masvc(2384.2760) ahclient.Warning: no network available. raise alert request is ignored...

2015-09-29 09:57:08.134 masvc(2384.2760) policy.Error: Failed to raise a spipe alert

the problem will solve with a system restart.

thank you for your helps...

• 1. Re: McAfee Agent Communication Problem
          scott.culbertson

It sounds like a GPO was pushed possibly, or your ports were blocked. But if a reboot is fixing it, possibly not.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework

Scroll to the bottom and double click UpdaterUI

This will force the red shield on your system, right click the shield and open the McAfee Agent Status Monitor and try and force an update locally.

• 2. Re: McAfee Agent Communication Problem
            mtorabi

Thank you for your reply!

problem didn't solve...

windows firewall is off so all ports are allowed

is there any way to restart masvc service

i want to check if it works

• 3. Re: McAfee Agent Communication Problem
              scott.culbertson

You should be able to open services by typing services.msc in the little blank area above start (for Windows 7)

• 4. Re: McAfee Agent Communication Problem
                scott.culbertson

let me ask you this: Did you do the install yourself? Either way, do this....masvc is McAfee Agent Service if I'm not mistaken. In 9 years of McAfee & HBSS installs, the only time I usually see a masvc issue is when the installer didn't run the initial framepkg.exe that comes with the installation, which I am not really surprised by as it is buried fairly deep. This kicks off as the Master Agent within ePO.

This has to be done on the ePO server itself:

go to

C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\EPOAGENT3000\Install\0409

Inside that folder is an  executable called Framepkg. That is the Agent Installer package that should be the First agent installed on the ePO server. Afterwards you can update as needed. By not running this one first, the ePO console see's the ePO server as just another server to manage. I have had to fix issues when people deploy Solidcore and ePO blocks applications to itself....not good.

Let me state that this is an agent fix, it wont affect ePO services or policies. If you already have an agent installed on the ePO server, lets remove it, before running the Framepkg. To do this, open a CMD prompt window and type:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework

So that your changing the directory to the Common Framework folder, then  type this:

frminst.exe /forceuninstall

That will clear out the Common framework folder, and when you run the Framepkg, it will be a clean install.

No need to reboot or anything, when done. Simply log into ePO now, and go to Software Manager and get your updates. Once that finishes, Do a system wide wakeup call, and that should resolve your error.

** now, for systems that wont wake up you can do the agent removal as posted above, but don't use that master Framepkg after you use it on the ePO server. Go into ePO and create one from the ePO server.

to do that, go to System Tree> Select "My Organization (or whatever the top of your tree is labeled)>New Systems>The 4th bubble down says "Create and download agent installation package.

Select that and leave unchecked "Embed Credentials" unless you want to have to put credentials in whenever you use that installer.

Deploy that Framepkg to any system that isn't communicating to ePO. I usually relabel mine by date and domain...like Test_21SEP15_Framepkg but do whatever works.

You don't have to remove the previos agent before installing the new agent, but I have had issues pop up in the past when a clean install didn't occur...best to just avoid more issues.

Hope that fixes your issue.