9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2015 9:42 AM by rolydee

How to install latest Agent on existing Systems through ePO

schmalep

Hi all,

here is the situation:

I have a Network where VSE 8.8 with Patch 4 was installed manually until today.

Now i have installed the latest ePO on the Server and tried to roll out the latest Agent on the added Clients.

On some Clients the Agent were updated, but not on all of them.

I reactivated the Agent, removed the System again from the ePO, added again, but it seems there is no exact procedure to deploy the latest Agent to Systems where a manually Installation of VSE is done.

In my opinion there should be another way to Import existing Systems where VSE was preinstalled, then uninstalling and installing again from the ePO.

On an similar Network i did the same procedure.

At first on the Clients there was an existing Installation of VSE, then i installed ePO on the Server, then i added the Systems to the ePO.

On all These Systems the latest Version of the Agent is now installed and then of course the latest Version of VSE too.

Can someone give me a hint how to resolve this Problem "without uninstalling complete VSE + Agent on all the affected Systems"?

I can't uninstall the existing Installation from the Server, am i right?

Kind Regards

Peter

• 1. Re: Howto install latest Agent on existing Systems through ePO
          tkinkead

This is a bit tricky.  So, your client was deploying VSE manually, right?  Were they still managing the endpoints with a McAfee Agent connected to an ePO server, but just doing all their deploys manually?  If so, did you stand up a new ePO server, or are you re-using an existing one?  If not, did they even have a McAfee Agent installed on those systems? 

The Agent and VSE are separate products.  Even if you had to uninstall/reinstall the Agent, you should not have to reinstall VSE.  I have absolutely pushed an Agent to test systems that only had a local, manually-installed copy of VSE.  There were no issues getting ePO to see and manage the system or the VSE install on that system.

Your post is a bit scattered, so I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.  Can you be more clear?

• 2. Re: Howto install latest Agent on existing Systems through ePO
            schmalep

Hello,

all Client Installations were made manually. At this Point no ePO was installed in the Network.

Now I installed the ePO and added the Systems to the ePO.

On some Clients the Agent and VSE were updated and on some not.

In the Event Viewer on one of the Clients i found something like the Installation is configured to run in interactive mode.

But shouldn't it run in silent mode?

I don't have the exact Event message at the Moment, but i will add it later if i got it again.

Kind regards

Peter

• 3. Re: Howto install latest Agent on existing Systems through ePO
              tkinkead

So all the systems are checking into ePO, but running an update task to move them from Patch 4 to a newer version fails on some of those systems?

Have you looked at the Agent logs (not just the Windows Event Viewer) to see if there are any related messages?

• 4. Re: Howto install latest Agent on existing Systems through ePO
                schmalep

I can't run an update task because the agent can't be updated/reactivated.

The point to run an update task is not useable (which is normal because the affected clients are in "not administered" state).

But I will check the logs anyway.

• 5. Re: Howto install latest Agent on existing Systems through ePO
                  scott.culbertson

There are a few solution. If its only a few systems you can manually force remove the agent by opening a command prompt (CMD) and doing the following

1. at the command prompt type: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework 

(or whatever your drive that ePO is installed on)

2. type the following:  frminst.exe /forceuninstall

(this will force remove the current agent,  at which time you can either push one from ePO (OR) you can run a framepkg.exe installer (which is created within ePO)

If you have a lot of systems, you can do the same thing and create a batch script or if you have SCCM you can have SCCM force remove the agents & install the current agents.

Once your systems are being managed, your updates will deploy.  Even if you have stand alone VSE installs,. once the Framepkg is installed, ePO will take over management.

Personally, I prefer to install the Framepkg myself, so I can open the McAfee Agent status monitor and force it to start receiving updates from ePO.

Hope it helps.

• 6. Re: Howto install latest Agent on existing Systems through ePO
                    scott.culbertson

I should add ... do the force removal directly on the box ( RDP is fine, as long as you have access) It just must be done locally

• 7. Re: Howto install latest Agent on existing Systems through ePO
                      schmalep

Hello Scott,

thank you for your answer.

I will run the frminst.exe /forceuninstall on the Clients which are affected.

We don't have a SCCM and somehow i can't find the Option to create the framepkg.exe installer in ePO...

Now I have a question regarding updating the agent and VSE.

What is "best practise" to update them, with a scheduled Client Task or just to update from the "Actions - Agent - Update now" Menu?

Somehow I have Problems in doing both of the actions. The Task is running without Problems, but nothing is updated.

• 8. Re: Howto install latest Agent on existing Systems through ePO
                        scott.culbertson

Let me state that this is an agent fix, it wont affect ePO services or policies.

For systems that will not commincate with ePO open a CMD window and do the following:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework

So that your changing the directory to the Common Framework folder, then type this:

frminst.exe /forceuninstall

That will clear out the Common framework folder, and when you run the Framepkg, it will be a clean install.

to do that, go to System Tree> Select "My Organization (or whatever the top of your tree is labeled)>New Systems>The 4th bubble down says "Create and download agent installation package.

Select that and leave unchecked "Embed Credentials" unless you want to have to put credentials in whenever you use that installer.

Deploy that Framepkg locally to the desktop of any system that wont communicate with ePO. Once it finishes Installation you can remove the installer from the desktop.

You don't have to remove the previous agent before installing the new agent, but I have had issues pop up in the past when a clean install didn't occur...best to just avoid more issues.

For Updating your VSE and clients:

Now...here is some of the tasks I run on my boxes.

1)

Go to System Tree>Assigned Client Tasks Tab (I have a task that does an hourly wakeup call called "Hourly Wakeup call", to create one go to Actions>New Client Task Assignment>Product: McAfee Agent, Task Type: McAfee Agent Wakeup>Task Name: Create New Task

Now name it whatever will help you remember, and set the schedule to fire off every hour...I set mine to run at 113pm and every hour until 1213pm....with an odd number for the wakeup, the normal server tasks should be completed as they generally are set to run on the hour. (The ePO server can only handle about 250 simultaneous tasks per second...so in a big environment, that can task the ePO server and cause failures to occur, so using off times help)

You can set up deployment tasks, removal tasks, updates, whatever you need from this menu, and also either per system tree group. Like if you want to deploy Solidcore Application Control or HIPS to workstations and not servers.

2)

OK so lets set up a Content update task

Go to the same  Area, Tope of the tree if you want VSE updates to affect your entire environment. System Tree>Assigned Client Tasks Tab.

Select McAfee Agent>Product Update> New Task

Call it whatever you want..I used "Content Daily Update"

Now, you will get to a Screen that Says all packages (don't recommend that during business hours) or Selected Packages. Select what packages to update ( I set my schedule to update twice a day, in case of bad connections, or loss of connectivity) . What you choose to update is your choice, for me I use Engine, DAT, Buffer Overflow DAT for VSE. VSE 8.8 ePO Agent Key Updater.

To Update the Master Repository:

Go to Menu>Automation>Server Tasks> Look for a pre-built task that comes with the install of ePO called "Update Master Repository"

(after work hours preferred) Set that to update every day and that should include ALL products which will also cover VSE and DAT updates.

Then Save.

So now you have daily updates being pulled for your VSE and DAT files, as well as your Master Repository Daily updates. And a fix for the Agents that wont communicate....told you it was a big type up..lol.

Hope that fixes your issue.

• 9. Re: Howto install latest Agent on existing Systems through ePO
                          rolydee

It seems that you need to get a working McAfee Agent installed on your computers and communicating with your ePO first: if this is your issue, how are you deploying McAfee Agent e.g. manual install?

Once you have a working McAfee Agent, you can use a Product Deployment task to install the required version and actually 'upgrade' the McAfee Agent software. After that you can use the usual Product Deployment or Product Update tasks for VSE etc.

In my experience you should not need to uninstall VSE from your computer to do this, but depending on your initial (unmanaged) VSE settings, the actual McAfee Agent install might be blocked.