0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 3:07 PM by nashcoop

McAfee agent upgrade from 4.8.0.1930 to 5.0.2.132 causes Windows 2012 system crash

nashcoop

I recently began upgrading our servers running McAfee agent from 4.8.0.1930 to 5.0.2.132.  I have only tried upgrading a few servers running Windows Server 2012 R2, and have already had two of them crash within a minute of the upgrade starting with a Critical error in the system event log. 

Source "Kernel-Power" Event ID 41.  The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

The first server we were barely able to recover, and that was only after accessing the server in safe mode via iLO, modifying the registry to allow us to run Windows installer so we could remove all McAfee components, and then reboot the server.  In the second case the server crashed, but recovered on its own.  In both cases there was also the following McAfee error:

System event log: Error "The McAfee Framework Service service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."

In both cases the "Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework" folder only had one file in it after the crash and that was the "traceapp.dll" file.  All of the other McAfee files were installed in the "Program Files\McAfee\Agent" folder location.  Not sure why that happened unless the 5.0.2 install is supposed to install there.  I did NOT direct it to install there.

Other similarities:  Both servers are physical servers, NOT VM's.  Also, when deploying the 5.0.2.132 agent I chose the "Force installation over existing version" in the installation options.

Has anybody else run into similar issues upgrading Windows 2012 R2 servers??

EPO version 5.1.1, build 357