1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 15, 2008 11:04 AM by xfavorettx

Question(s) regarding McAfee Installation Designer

I'm gearing up for a 800 pc deployment and have been looking into the MID Documentation but have some questions. My goal is to install 8.5i w/patch 4. Currently, with new installations, once the agent checks in EPO Deploys 8.5i patch 1 and then a nightly task pushes the patch. The agent is installed via SMS and is part of our baseline software installs.

My questions are,
      - Can I create a "Custom" package that includes Patch 4 and have it pushed out initially?
      - If so, once the package is created, do I just check it into the repository for distribution?
      - Will my custom package replace the current 8.5i patch 1 package?
      - Is what I'm wanting to accomplish a "Recommended Practice" or am I just creating more work for myself?
      - Once this package is deployed, will my policies be applied?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
        • 1. RE: Question(s) regarding McAfee Installation Designer
          - Can I create a "Custom" package that includes Patch 4 and have it pushed out initially?

Yes! if the original pack have included patch 4 .

- If so, once the package is created, do I just check it into the repository for distribution?

yes! the patch 4 is automatic included into epo repository.

- Will my custom package replace the current 8.5i patch 1 package?

The epo repository only accepts only one packedge of only one version of one product.

ex: you can have only one pack Virusscan 8.0 . but you can have one pack for vsc 8.0 and another one to vsv 8.5

- Is what I'm wanting to accomplish a "Recommended Practice" or am I just creating more work for myself?

The instalation manager, provides to you a better " advantage " of deployment... and, more secure options..

- Once this package is deployed, will my policies be applied?

Yes !

Regards,