7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2015 3:27 PM by exbrit

mfeeerm.exe has been deleted by antivirus

dpapad

Hi there,

Kaspersky Internet Security took as a threat mfeeerm.exe and deleted it (not quarantined), from my uisb drive. File cannot be recovered and so I cannot access the contents of my drive. Can someone from the community or an admin send the file to me please? I understand that this is licensed software, but I was forced to install EERM in a company I used to work, as otherwise I wasn't able to use a usb drive in the corporate laptop. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: mfeeerm.exe has been deleted by antivirus
          exbrit

Moved provisionally to Encryption: EEM Managed for faster support.

---

Peter

• 2. Re: mfeeerm.exe has been deleted by antivirus
            exbrit

In the meanwhile, until someone else posts, please contact Kaspersky support on how to stop the software from quarantining valid files.

• 3. Re: mfeeerm.exe has been deleted by antivirus

You need to get it from your old company - EERM is licensed as you say, so you need to obtain it from someone with the right to give it to you - IE your current or previous employer.

• 4. Re: mfeeerm.exe has been deleted by antivirus
                dpapad

Err... I'm sorry, but would you accept this as an appropriate response to my problem if you were in my place? I don't think so.

• 5. Re: mfeeerm.exe has been deleted by antivirus

I tried to soften the message, I guess I failed. The problem is, your old company has a legal right to use the software - that doesn't extend to ex-employees unfortunately. No one is going to complain at them helping you recover data though - however they can't give you a license to use EERM to protect new data, or keep personal data protected now you no longer work for them.

A lot of times we get calls from people who are trying to access data they don't have a right to - either because they found a usb stick in the street, or they are trying to access data copied from an ex-employer.

Obviously we can't help people access data that they shouldn't be accessing - so to keep everyone safe it's easier if we direct people back to their company (or ex-company) for help.

Your old company forced you to use encryption to protect removable media on company owned laptops - so they wanted that data protected from loss and exposure - I don't know if they still care about the data or not and it's inappropriate for me, or anyone else to help bypass their controls.

• 6. Re: mfeeerm.exe has been deleted by antivirus
                    dpapad

Thanks for the reply and I do appreciate what you're saying. In any case, even if you gave away the .exe to me, the stick is password controlled as you know, so -in theory- no-one else but the owner can access the content. In any case, I will follow your advice and get some friend that still works in my old company provide me with the file. Thanks.

• 7. Re: mfeeerm.exe has been deleted by antivirus
                      exbrit

Have you contacted Kaspersky to have the file cleared?  Sorry I have no idea how they handle it, but that's your best and fastest approach.  Downloading the same file, if that were possible without a Grant Number which it isn't, will only have it quarantined once more until they clear it.