1 2 3 4 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2016 9:15 AM by sivakumarc

Endpoint Security freezing Windows 10???

günterkrembsler

I am testing an epo managed endponit security (hope i remember the right product name) on Windows 10 computers.

One Computer is updated from Windows 8.1, the other one is fresh install.

As epo rollout did not work i downloaded 10.1 and installed manually after the agent.

The first time /days, everything looked fine. Allthough integration in Firefox did not work but i knew this from 8.1.

The last day the new computer started to freeze.

At first i was unable to use the task bar, allthough the currently running application worked fine. After some time the computer freezed totaly. I could not even use alt+tab, ctrl+alt+del or shutdown.

I did some testing an e.g. a running task manager showed activity, than the taskbar hung and than even the task manager window activity froze.

I thought it might be a hardware problem but the second computer started to show exactly the same problems.

After uninstalling firewall, web control and thread prevention both computer work without a problem or freeze.

So i guess, this is no hardware issue and there might be a problem with the Mcafee software.

There's no helpfull information in the system logs and i wonder, if i am the only one with such problems?

Any help or info regarding my problem?

Thx G.

• 1. Re: Endpoint Security freezing Windows 10???
          Peter M

Moved to ePO for faster support.

---

Peter

• 2. Re: Endpoint Security freezing Windows 10???
            günterkrembsler

This is the products i am testing

Endpoint Security Platform 10.0.1 Build 3008 Package #1 (Client)

Web Control 10.0.1 Build 3002 Package #2 (Client)

Threat Prevention 10.0.1 Build 3001 Package #1 (Client)

Firewall 10.0.1 Build 3001 Package #1 (Client)

Meanwhile i can say for sure, that at least the fresh installed computer is running since more than one hour without a problem.

Before uninstalling the "Endpoint Security" i could work for max. 5 minutes before freeze...

• 3. Re: Endpoint Security freezing Windows 10???
              Peter M

Is this Beta Endpoint Security? - You say you are testing it so it certainly sounds like a beta product, if so I can move it again.

• 4. Re: Endpoint Security freezing Windows 10???
                günterkrembsler

The software is located as "test" in epo software manager. I do not know, how this is handled inside mcafee, as there's patches available..

The product is called "McAfee Endpoint Security 10.0".

Meanwhile i can say, that the "freeze" dissapeared also on the updated computer. I now want to see, what happens if i install the products one by one with some time between.

• 5. Re: Endpoint Security freezing Windows 10???
                  Peter M

Moved to SaaS Endpoint as I think that's the best place to get support.

• 6. Re: Endpoint Security freezing Windows 10???
                    ib-ben

I'm having the exact same issue for nearly a week and a half.  I've done multiple clean reinstall's with no success.  Intel Security has escalated my ticket for this, but I have yet to get any real results from support on this issue.

I did however, notice that a new patch came out yesterday for Endpoint Security 10.0.1.X.  However, I am not able to find the changelog anywhere.  Have you had any more luck with troubleshooting the problem?  Have you tried to install the latest patch that came out yesterday?

• 7. Re: Endpoint Security freezing Windows 10???
                      günterkrembsler

i could not yet test the patch.

But i found out, that the problem might come from an update. I have a third computer that worked fine with the software installed.

Today i tried to work with it, it updated and i got exactly the same problem.

After uninstalling the Thread-prevention only, it seems to be stable.

On the other hand i installed thread prevention only to test and i got again a freeze on the "fresh-installed" computer.

I will see, if i can test the patch. Maybe it will solve the problem.

• 8. Re: Endpoint Security freezing Windows 10???
                        günterkrembsler

well - endpoint security is still available in my epo software manager.

But i can no longer download it from my McAfee Reseller Security Action Pack.

Instead i can see entries for

McAfee Endpoint Suite Installer - CEB 3.1
                        McAfee Endpoint Suite Installer - CEE 3.1
                        McAfee Endpoint Suite Installer - EPA 3.1
                        McAfee Endpoint Suite Installer - EPS 3.1
                        McAfee Endpoint Suite Installer - TSH 4.0
                        McAfee Endpoint Suite Installer - TSI 4.0

Those seem to install epo, sql and more. I did not yet find an explanation on the differences and if ths is the "follow up" for Endpoint Security?

• 9. Re: Endpoint Security freezing Windows 10???
                          ib-ben

I've done numerous fresh installs, and what I've found is that everything works fine...until you run a scan.  Once the scan is initiated (even if it completes successfully), the lock up issues will begin occurring.  As you described them, the computer will lock up after about 5 minutes or so, including the task bar and task manager not even responding.

If I install the software but don't run a scan it seems just fine.

I may try to do a fresh install again now that a new patch has been pushed out.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next