4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 6:52 AM by smoxar

Need Help to resctructure ePO infrastracture

smoxar

Hi,

We're actually using one ePO Server v4.6.1 with local DataBase for more than 1500 host and with 3 Agents Handlers (1 for Each Site)

Due the approche of end support of this version we're planning to upgrade it to v.5.3.

Howerver before doing to upgrade, we want to deploy the solution for more sites but with some conditions

- Having one centralized ePO Console

- Since the site are in differents city's, we need one epo server for each site with his local database and at least 1 AgentHandler

- All the epo servers need to refer to one centralized ePO Server.

- Managing hosts and reports need to be on the Centralized ePO server.

What McAfee solution shoud i use for that, is there some thing in ePO solution which could answer those needs ?

Thanks a lot in advance for yours answers and advices.

• 1. Re: Need Help to resctructure ePO infrastracture
          rrodrig1

We're actually using one ePO Server v4.6.1... planning to upgrade it to v.5.3.

You'll need to upgrade to ePO 4.6.6 before you can upgrade to 5.3.(PD26103)

1500 host and with 3 Agents Handlers (1 for Each Site)

Not generally recommended to have 3 agent handlers for only 1500 hosts. Ideally, only one agent handler per 50,000 systems is required.

Howerver before doing to upgrade, we want to deploy the solution for more sites but with some conditions

- Having one centralized ePO Console

Based on your description, it sounds like you already have this environment already, no?

- Since the site are in differents city's, we need one epo server for each site with his local database and at least 1 AgentHandler

Is there any reason all of the sites cannot connect to a single ePO server hosted at one of your sites?

- All the epo servers need to refer to one centralized ePO Server.

ePO is designed to work as a single management console for enterprise command and control. You can share policies to other ePO servers, and rollup events, but the extra complexity for so few systems might not really be worth the effort.

- Managing hosts and reports need to be on the Centralized ePO server.

You can only manages hosts per single ePO server. As for reporting, you'll need to consider the event and audit rollup server tasks.

• 2. Re: Need Help to resctructure ePO infrastracture
            smoxar

Many thanks Rob for your Quick answer.

The only thing that might me think this wayis theses 2 reasons :

- to optimize links bandwidth between sites (since its also used for business, and don't want do an impact during deployements or updates)

- several epo servers, to optmize server performence

i'm saying this because i have a Lab with ePO 5.1.1 and i'm seeing "Registred servers" on "configuration Menu", and I thought this was to add other ePO servers, isn't it ?

• 3. Re: Need Help to resctructure ePO infrastracture
              rrodrig1

To optimize bandwidth, use distributed repositories - not agent handlers. If anything, AH will increase the bandwidth requirements.

This will allow you to consolidate into a single ePO server.

* The ASCI interval should be set to at least one hour.

* ASCI traffic is typically small and light, and I've never seen it have a significant impact on bandwidth.

* Software updates are usually the source of bandwidth bottlenecks. To resolve, use dist. repositories.

* There should be at least one dist. repository at each site. Each site should only pull from its respective repository. This will address the bandwidth concerns.

As for the Registered servers, you can register a variety of servers. You can find the details in any of the ePO product guides. Regarding registration of ePO, this will only allow you to do three things:

1. Transfer systems

2. Share policies (but not assignments)

3. Roll-up event and audit data into another ePO server.

It does not allow you to manage other systems from a single console.

Finally, if you're really worried about bandwidth (assuming 56k links), then set your ASCI to two hours, and look into using an Apache repository. This will allow you to throttle the bandwidth between the repository and the ePO server for updates.

Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: Need Help to resctructure ePO infrastracture
                smoxar

Oukay thanks Rob for your assistance on this.

so i'll be planning to start a new ePO server on each site, and i'll add them to one becauze according to the ? on Registred Servers Section this allows the added servers to be available for multiserver report generation, and this way will avoid me to connect on each console to get the protection reports ... i'll be planning to create an automatic task to do the job ;-)