8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2015 11:35 AM by catdaddy

Erasing my credit card info to avoid future problems

pallu3

Hi all,

Here is my problem : In spring 2014 I almost fell to the auto-renewal scam, and boycotted MacAfee for the next year and a half, but after over a year I ended up needing an anti-virus and so I recently re-subscribed.

Of course, I decided to be wiser from my past experience and decided this time to turn off the "auto-renewal" and delete my credit card details. Unfortunately, while I could make the former, I was unable to perform the latter and didn't find the option to erase my credit card details (even trying to replacing them with "11111111111111" didn't work) !!!!!

Does anybody know how to erase credit card details from my MacAfee account ? (i am sure it is not legal for MacAfee to keep my credit card number in my account against my wish)

On a side note, was any new auto-renewal-like scam invented in the past year, that i should be aware of and protect myself against ?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

• 1. Re: Erasing my credit card info to avoid future problems
          catdaddy

pallu3,

I myself in the past have (Turned Off) Auto Renewal , perhaps for the same reason you have done.To hopefully get a better price. For it clearly states in your 'EULA' agreement that your subscription will remain active and you will be automatically renewed quite often at the Full Retail price.

As for it being considered a (Scam)..I see nothing to support that. Did you upon renewing furnish your Credit Card information? If so, there is no reason to be concerned. For Intel/ McAfee has no interest in doing anything untoward, other than renewing your Subscription keeping you protected.

If you still have any concerns, you can always contact Customer Service and discuss such with them.

Wishing you all the Best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Erasing my credit card info to avoid future problems
            exbrit

There's no scam involved as the whole process was outlined in the terms and conditions you agreed to when first opening the account, but like most of us, I know one tends not to read the "small print"..  Auto-renewal is a very common practice online.  However the ultimate decision is yours whether or not it should continue.

You can turn off auto-renewal on your account page.  However not sure about a customer being able to completely remove any form of payment from those pages.  Customer Service are the only ones who can do that if it's possible and they are a free phone call away or you can use online chat but for personal matters I think they prefer to speak with you directly:  Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)   Alter country at top right if necessary.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Erasing my credit card info to avoid future problems
              pallu3

Dear Catdaddy and Ex-Brit,

Many thanks for your answers, which unfortunately confirm that there is no easy solution.

Indeed, turning off Auto-Renewal is not protection enough for me. I simply do not trust MacAfee with keeping my credit card information past this one and only transaction, and the only way to be sure that they do not charge me in the future is that they DON'T have the information available which is by the way normally the standard for every business. What I find disturbing is that they would refuse to get rid of this information, and I am fearful that they could do some fishy move in the future like changing the EULA and reactivating the auto-renewal without the customer's knowledge. Maybe I am overdoing it but as the saying goes : fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me :-)

I will contact customer support and demand that my credit card information be erased, and will post back how it went... and check for any suspicious charge by MacAfee until then :§

As for auto-renewal being a scam, well it is clearly the case from its intent and design : it has clearly been made so that a normal person will not understand what they are agreeing to, and designed to farm people's credit cards without their knowledge for services they are no longer using...

Best regards,

• 5. Re: Erasing my credit card info to avoid future problems
                exbrit

Marking topic "Assumed Answered" as we can't access credit card information from these forums.

• 6. Re: Erasing my credit card info to avoid future problems
                  pallu3

Yes indeed, it was solved by phoning to the customer service, they erased all billing information for my account (I just checked, the information has indeed been deleted - so I am safe now :-D).

Thanks a lot for your help in solving this problem.

• 7. Re: Erasing my credit card info to avoid future problems
                    exbrit

I thought so.   All the best ;-)

• 8. Re: Erasing my credit card info to avoid future problems
                      catdaddy

You are quite welcome Glad that all is okay.