8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2016 3:29 PM by wwarren

VSE 8.8 Blocks Java 8 Install (Java installer error 1603) but rule currently not enforced

george.perkins

When I try to update Java to version 8 on Windows 7 Pro 64bit, the installer ends with an error message "Java update did not complete. Error Code: 1603. Please refer to the Java Help Center for troubleshooting information or contact your system administrator." Strangely I could install older versions of Java, just not Java 8. At first I pursued various suggestions offered by Java-related forums. The error message 1603 suggests issues with a Microsoft security update MS14-049 KB2918614 as the cause, but removal of that update did not fix the issue. Then on a whim I disabled McAfee VirusScan 8.8 and viola! the Java 8 install worked.

There were no messags in my VSE logs indicating that VSE was the cause. However I did see logged messages clearly "Would be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)" but in fact, they are apparently being enforced and preventing the successful install of Java 8. Or at least, that is my theory.

What's new about Java 8 and VSE that VSE prevents Java 8 installation?

8/27/201510:32:03 AMWould be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMC:\Windows\system32\MsiExec.exe\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.79.2\M imeTypes\application/x-java-applet;version=1.7\DescriptionCommon Standard Protection:Protect Mozilla & FireFox files and settingsAction blocked : Create

and

8/27/201510:32:04 AMWould be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMC:\Windows\system32\MsiExec.exe\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPluginsCommon Standard Protection:Protect Mozilla & FireFox files and settingsAction blocked : Write

• 1. Re: VSE 8.8 Blocks Java 8 Install (Java installer error 1603) but rule currently not enforced
          koseelen

Hello George

There is nothing new with JAVA 8 . The reason for the issue , is Java is attempting to withe to the Mozilla directory , and due to the AP rules , it is being blocked. Revisit the AP Firefox rules and have a look.

• 2. Re: VSE 8.8 Blocks Java 8 Install (Java installer error 1603) but rule currently not enforced
            george.perkins

Koseelen,

Thanks for replying, but please explain.Your comment does not help me with the small amount of information you have provided.

1. I don't understand why you conclude there is nothing different about Java 8. Clearly there is something new. Java 7 installs without being blocked. Java 8 is blocked.

2. As far as AP (Access Protection) rules, I'm unclear why a computer that does not have Firefox installed on it would be affected by Firefox rules. This computer has IE9 and Chrome browsers. No Firefox.

3. As I posted, the messages logged by VSE indicate "Would be blocked by Access Protection rule  (rule is currently not enforced)" but apparently these rules are being enforced and causing Java 8 to fail.

I hypothestize:

1. VSE has a program bug regarding enforcement of AP rules (logging the result as informational, but in fact, enforcing the rule)

2. Java 8 now meddles with Mozilla Plugins registry keys for which there are no applications being used (Java 8 is assuming these keys are necessary when in fact they are not) - Java 7 had no such meddlesome behavior.

A posting of a similar question on the Java forum has had no activity. So apparently most Java experts aren't encountering this particular issue. I was hoping McAfee would respond with a KB that perhaps explains the errant VSE behavior fixed by an update which my computer is missing.

• 3. Re: VSE 8.8 Blocks Java 8 Install (Java installer error 1603) but rule currently not enforced
              koseelen

George

The Java , does and plugins and DLLs to the Mozilla , folder . If you are blocking access or change to Mozilla , then it will block it .

A test is to disable the block and report , on the firefox AP rules and see the results .

• 4. Re: VSE 8.8 Blocks Java 8 Install (Java installer error 1603) but rule currently not enforced
                groundskeeper

Hello,

I believe I have found an answer to this issue.  Its been a long time for us to find a fix as well.  Here is what I wrote up to our group:

For the longest time we have gotten a 1603 error while installing Java 1.8 u30 or higher.  (The issue started then)  Since then I have been trying to figure this out.  Well today I set to fix it.  I think I have something.

The fix used to be disable Mcafee 8.8 Access protection policy and it would install.  Not easy to do when you are trying to automate patching and then turn back on AP.

So I started to investigate the AccessProtectionlog (which I had done before) and as always did not see any blocks but the normal “Would be blocked” on “Common Standard Protection:Protect Mozilla & FireFox files and settings Action blocked : Write” which should not cause a failed install.  So for grins I disabled even reporting on that rule and tired again.

Again 1603 error but there was AP alerts again.  This time there was:

Blocked by Access Protection rule BTI\LaFranceJason C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\JAVA\JRE1.8.0_73\INSTALLER.EXE HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\BROWSER HELPER OBJECTS\ Common Standard Protection:Prevent installation of Browser Helper Objects and Shell Extensions        Action blocked : Write

Blocked by Access Protection rule BTI\LaFranceJason C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\JAVA\JRE1.8.0_73\INSTALLER.EXE HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\BROWSER HELPER OBJECTS\{DBC80044-A445-435B-BC74-9C25C1C588A9}\  Common Standard Protection:Prevent installation of Browser Helper Objects and Shell Extensions        Action blocked : Write

Ohh, interesting.  I then added INSTALLER.exe executable to the exclude rule of “Common Standard Protection:Prevent installation of Browser Helper Objects and Shell Extensions” then bingo it installed just fine.

So the issue was the reporting set on for Common Standard Protection:Protect Mozilla & FireFox files and settings Action blocked : Write” was not letting the real message I needed to fix the issue be shown.  I have a case open with Mcafee to report this.  I was actually on the phone waiting for them to help when I found the fix myself.  It would be best to put in a wildcard string to exclude the installer.exe.  I am going to be using "C:\program files (x86)\java\*\installer.exe" and "C:\program files\java\*\installer.exe"  but that needs testing..

I still need to test further but this is the first time since Java 1.8 u30 I have been able to install java without a 1603 and AP on.

Jason LaFrance

• 5. Re: VSE 8.8 Blocks Java 8 Install (Java installer error 1603) but rule currently not enforced
                  wwarren

VERY interesting find. It sounds like there is a bug here in the rule violation reporting.

I hope the Support folk you work with are able to chase this through to resolution, so we root-cause the underlying reason for this behavior. (Did you have an SR# provided?)

• 6. Re: VSE 8.8 Blocks Java 8 Install (Java installer error 1603) but rule currently not enforced
                    groundskeeper

Well I have an initial SR # but I was on the phone waiting on hold for a tech to answer for about 2 hours so once I found it I hit the button to hold my line in queue.  That has been 3 hours now.  Usually they won't call back but I do plan to try calling tomorrow once I have more free time.

• 7. Re: VSE 8.8 Blocks Java 8 Install (Java installer error 1603) but rule currently not enforced
                      groundskeeper

Wondering if I am still waiting in that queue.  They never called back or updated the issue.  Been requesting daily updates to deaf ears.  If I call in I get infinite hold.  Yesterday I was on hold for 8 hours till I gave up.

• 8. Re: VSE 8.8 Blocks Java 8 Install (Java installer error 1603) but rule currently not enforced
                        wwarren

I can only help in this regard -

If you let me know that SR# I can ensure the appropriate person is reminded.