8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2015 2:45 AM by Troja

How to add another scan engine to MVM

anatifaana

Dear All,

Please need to know How to add another scan engine to MVM ?

I have installed the MVM as stand-alone server (Management + scan engine) and now we need to add another scan engine server to it? is that available? and how?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to add another scan engine to MVM
          rrodrig1

Install the scan engine to another server. During the configuration you will input the details of the scan controller (management server) and the scan engine will automatically check in. You can verify this via the FCM console.

If you're asking if the scan engine has its own installer or software, then it doesn't. Just use the same software used to install the management server. During the install, choose "Advanced" and "Scan Engine". That's it!

• 2. Re: How to add another scan engine to MVM
            anatifaana

Dear Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

My Q is:

can i add another scan engine to the scan controller (management server) that i installed with it's own scan engine?

Thanks

• 3. Re: How to add another scan engine to MVM
              rrodrig1

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean to add two scan engines on the same server? Then the answer is no.

Or if you mean to have the management server remotely install the scan engine to another server? The answer is no.

The only way to add another scan engine is to manually install it using the MVM setup software.

HTH

• 4. Re: How to add another scan engine to MVM
                Troja

Hi anatifaana,

yes you can. One Scan Controller can manage several scan engines. This is part of the implementation design.

1) install thew new scan engine.

2) on MVM server start the Foundstone Configuration Manager. There you can change the scan controller for any scan engine.

Cheers

• 5. Re: How to add another scan engine to MVM
                  anatifaana

Dear Mr. Troja

could you please help me on that? my situation is (I'm using the trial version for test):

1- i have installed the new scan engine on another server. (10.10.0.55).

2- i have installed the MVM server as a standard (Not use advanced option to select dual or three server (Scan engine or DB or Web) ).

So my Q is , can the new scan engine join the MVM server? and how (Auto or Manual)?

Thanks

• 6. Re: How to add another scan engine to MVM
                    Troja

Hi anatifaana,

from my point of information the MVM Trial license includes any functionality. i do not know if there is any limitation.

1) From your information a all-in-one MVM installation is up and running.

2) Logon directly or via RDP to your MVM server.

3) in the start menu you can find the Foundstone configuration manager. You can choose there is any new scan engine is allowed automatically or must be assigned manually.

4) Start the MVM installation on your new scan engine. Choose the "Advanced setup" (have no access to mx mvm installation at the moment) or something like that. You than can choose which components should be installed on the system. A good option is to install a Scan Engine and a Scan controller. With this installation MVM generates a  new scan. This scan is transferred to the Scan Controller. The Scan Controller starts the scan on the configures Scan Engine.

Take a look at the MVM 7.5 best practice guide: http://b2b-download.mcafee.com/products/evaluation/mcafee_risk_compliance/v7.5/m anuals/mvm750_best_practices_guide.pdf

5) After installation check the Foundstone Configuration Manager if everything is okay.

6) Define a new scan job and choose the appropriated scan engine.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

• 7. Re: How to add another scan engine to MVM
                      anatifaana
                      Dear Troje,
                      On the MVM Server I can't find the "Foundstone configuration manager", i can find only "Enterprise Manager" that open IE for manage the MVM, is that the same you mean?
                      About the "choose there is any new scan engine is allowed automatically or must be assigned manually", i also can't do that from inside the Enterprise Manager
                      Please email me at anatifaana@gmail.com
                      Thanks
                      • 8. Re: How to add another scan engine to MVM
                        Troja

Hi,

the Configuration Manager is not a WEB GUI, it is a entry in your start menu on MVM and is called "FCM Console".

**:\Foundstone\FCM\FCMConsole.exe -> normaly you can find the necessary executable in your MVM installation directory.

Cheers