1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2008 4:00 AM by gertheman

epo 3.6.1 > 4.0 install issue (InstallShield?)

When trying to upgrade 3.6.1 to 4.0 the install is failing at (what I believe is) the very end. All I can find in the logs is this:

InstallShield 15:02:39: Invoking script function Mercury_StartOldServices
      1: FAILURE: CustomActionData set to bad value []. This value CANNOT be blank.
      1: Stopping the services so that the logs can be gathered.
      1: Service [] did not exist so skip stopping of service.
      InstallShield 15:02:39: Setup aborted
      InstallShield 15:02:39: CallScriptFunctionFromMsiCA() ends

Which points to an installshield issue. Has anyone else any experience of this problem or can offer a little insight?

Thanks,
      Mike
        • 1. RE: epo 3.6.1 > 4.0 install issue (InstallShield?)
          there are better logs that will offer more useful info,

maybe the epo-install.log in the logged on users temp\nailogs folder ?
          • 2. Same problem
            Hi, we have the same problem. We can´t updgrade epo 3.6.1 to 4.0

InstallShield 9:46:38: Setup aborted
            InstallShield 9:46:38: CallScriptFunctionFromMsiCA() ends

We don´t see other error message.
            Can anyone help me please??:confused:
            • 3. RE: Same problem
              Logs ??

<CURRENT USER’S TEMP DIRECTORY>\NAILOGS\
              • 4. RE: Same problem
                The EPO400-Install-MSI.LOG file is too long and I can´t past it. Could I attach it in this foro??
                • 5. RE: Same problem
                  match up the time that the failure was reported with what is happenning in the log files at the same time

include a page above the failure, and a page of anything after the failure - this will give an idea of what processes were happening in parallel
                  • 6. RE: Same problem
                    (Apology for my english)

The instalation seems to be ok, check: ports, password, copy new files, register libraries... and when try "start new services Mcafee", stay for a long time with that message (starting new services Mcafee) and the next message is "Canceling action"--> log file in that moments says:

InstallShield 9:46:38: Setup aborted
                    InstallShield 9:46:38: CallScriptFunctionFromMsiCA() ends

And the final picture says: Wizard setup has stop before complete the instalation. System has not been modify. For install program after, run again...
                    And there no more messages or errors

Some idea??
                    • 7. RE: epo 3.6.1 > 4.0 install issue (InstallShield?)

unfortunately, they all seem to be fine, epo-install.log for example ends in:

BUILD SUCCESSFUL
                      Total time: 1 minute 32 seconds

within the nailogs I can't find any errors or problems other than the original one I posted.

Thanks,
                      Mike
                      • 8. RE: epo 3.6.1 > 4.0 install issue (InstallShield?)
                        I was installing epo 4.0 on remote mode. I´ve read that the upgrade/installation should be performed only locally. After installing on local I get another error: FAILURE: While starting the service [MCAFEETOMCATSRV]

Log file:
                        1: Unloading the following DLL: [C:\DOCUME~1\admintcu\CONFIG~1\Temp\{41D54211-1640-4C21-A64E-BF2BAFE5E2CE}\Comm onSetup.DLL]
                        1: Setting the current directory to [C:\WINDOWS\system32].
                        1: FAILURE: While starting the service [MCAFEETOMCATSRV].
                        1: Tomcat logs detected so copying as follows: [C:\Archivos de programa\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\logs] to [C:\DOCUME~1\admintcu\CONFIG~1\Temp\NAILogs\EPO400-Troubleshoot\TomcatLogs]
                        1: Apache2 logs detected so copying as follows: [C:\Archivos de programa\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Apache2\logs] to [C:\DOCUME~1\admintcu\CONFIG~1\Temp\NAILogs\EPO400-Troubleshoot\Apache2Logs]
                        1: DB logs detected so copying as follows: [C:\Archivos de programa\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\logs] to [C:\DOCUME~1\admintcu\CONFIG~1\Temp\NAILogs\EPO400-Troubleshoot\DBLogs]
                        1: FAILURE: In XCopyFile to copy files with return code [-2147024864].
                        El proceso no tiene acceso al archivo porque está siendo utilizado por otro proceso.

Source = [C:\Archivos de programa\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\logs\*.*]
                        Target = [C:\DOCUME~1\admintcu\CONFIG~1\Temp\NAILogs\EPO400-Troubleshoot\DBLogs]
                        InstallShield 13:02:03: Setup aborted
                        InstallShield 13:02:03: CallScriptFunctionFromMsiCA() ends
                        MSI (s) (EC:E0) [13:02:03:478]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
                        MSI (s) (EC:E0) [13:02:03:478]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
                        La acción terminó a las 13:02:03: InstallFinalize. Valor devuelto 2.
                        • 9. RE: epo 3.6.1 > 4.0 install issue (InstallShield?)
                          1: FAILURE: While starting the service [MCAFEETOMCATSRV].

please get the C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\Logs\orion.log, its likely the failure is occurring in one of the tomcat servlets.

try (re)starting the ePO application server svc count to 20, and send in the bottom 2 pages of the orion.log

hope this helps - you are looking for the last exception, it will look like this :

2007-11-23 17:16:13,878 WARN [http-8443-Processor24] http.Parameters - Parameters: Invalid chunk ignored.
                          2007-12-07 16:05:49,313 WARN [orion:pool-1-thread-1] engine.EngineTask - The Scheduler detected a time change on the system! Reloading scheduled tasks to ensure they run on the correct schedules.
                          2007-12-07 16:07:44,610 ERROR [pool-3-thread-1] cmd.CommandInvoker - Error invoking command:AvertAlerts.Web.Service
                          java.net.UnknownHostException: myavert.avertlabs.com
                          at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:177)
                          at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366)
                          at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:518)

look for the indent, where there is no datestamp - this is where the exception starts,

HTH,
                          1 2 Previous Next