2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2007 5:25 AM by mandara

Moving ePO server&DB to a new server with new name& IP

mandara
      Hi, posted this on old thread, but didn't have any reply so posting a new thread here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, we were thinking of moving from ePO3.5 to PRP1.5 due to licensing issue,
      but PRP looked a bit shite.
      so currently testing to move ePO server and DB to a new server with deferent name and IP.

Old server: vrsrep01 W2k Sp4 SQL2000Sp4 ePO 3.5.0.723
      New server: vrsrep02 W2k3 Sp1 Sql 2000Sp4 ePO 3.5.0.723

So far, I've been testing on VMware following the recommended steps from McAfeeKB47986.

Here's what I did so far;
      1. Built a new server with the same version of ePO(3.5) and SQL server(2000sp3)
      2. Stop all three ePO services on vrsrep01, backup ePO_vrsrep01 db using SQL enterprise manager.
      3. On vrsrep02, delete ePO_vrsrep02 created during the installation, created new DB called ePO_vrsrep01 and restored the backed up DB into it.
      4. On vrsrep01, run CfgNaiMs.exe and change SQL server name to the new server. Start ePO services.
      5. Replaced all instances SERVERNAME_ePO to ePO_vrsrep01 in the SQL-jobs.sql file and run through query analyzer
      6. Run Update Now on clients machine, still looking for server vrsrep01, successful.
      7. Shut down vrsrep01 and run Update Now, error downloading SiteStat.xml, failed
      8. Edited Server, server name, and ServerIP in SiteList.xml and run update now, same error again , failed :-(
      9. Pushed agent from new server but still received the same error.
      10. Haven't checked wheather policies are transfered or not.

Questions are as follows;

Although SA repository remain in distributed repository list, all UNCsites are gone!
      It this supposed to happen?

The error related to SiteStat.xml. would this be fixed when I run Pull task and update repository?

I'd rather not push agents to all clilents machines unless we have to, creating DNS alilas to make agent to look for new server would do the trick?

And finally the McAfee KB suggests to delete the following registries on old server if migrating DB from local sql to remote sql;

HKLM\System\Current ControlSet\Services\EVENTPARSER3xx]

DependOnService

[HKLM\System\Current ControlSet\Services\RSDSERVER3xx]

DependOnService

I'm not quite sure if I should do this.

Please help!!

Many thanks in advance.
        • 1. RE: Moving ePO server&DB to a new server with new name& IP
          Although SA repository remain in distributed repository list, all UNCsites are gone!
          It this supposed to happen?

>> the list of distributed repos is stored in the serversitelist.xml, it sounds like you havent moved this file from the last server that has the UNC repos configured. the superagent sites will always re-add themselves into the serversitelist because there is a mechanism to ensure that when a superagent policy is applied to a computer, that that computer is added into the serversitelist if it is not already there.

The error related to SiteStat.xml. would this be fixed when I run Pull task and update repository?

>>.. cant say without seeing the error logs.....

I'd rather not push agents to all clilents machines unless we have to, creating DNS alilas to make agent to look for new server would do the trick?

>>yes, this will work.

And finally the McAfee KB suggests to delete the following registries on old server if migrating DB from local sql to remote sql;

HKLM\System\Current ControlSet\Services\EVENTPARSER3xx]

DependOnService

[HKLM\System\Current ControlSet\Services\RSDSERVER3xx]

DependOnService

I'm not quite sure if I should do this.

>> this isnt really a big deal - it just breaks the dependencies on the local SQL instance, since there is no point being dependant on a SQL instance that no longer hosts your DB.....
          • 2. RE: Moving ePO server&DB to a new server with new name& IP
            mandara
            Thanks boohbar, much appreciated!

Can you tell me how to locate the log please?

Also, is there anyway to transfer all the packages and data(SiteList.xml and so on) already been installed on the old server to new server?

Many thanks