6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2015 11:17 AM by Jon Scholten

Cluster Identifier

chvgms

Hi,

where should i configure "cluster identifier" in 4500B & C appliances? I already have a 4500C cluster setup, planning to have 4500B cluster in the same VLAN, hence this question.

Thanks,

Sridhar

• 1. Re: Cluster Identifier
          Jon Scholten

Hi Sridhar,

What do you mean by "cluster identifier"?

You should just be able to join all the nodes into a single cluster without issue (make sure they are on the same version).

Best Regards,

Jon

• 2. Re: Cluster Identifier
            chvgms

i don't want to have both the clusters to talk to each other though they are in the same VLan. hence want to modifiy the cluster identifier.

Below is what McAfee says in thier documentation:

"Configuring a group of appliances as a cluster When configuring a group of appliances as a cluster, you need an IP address for each appliance, as well as a "virtual" address that is used to communicate with the currently active master appliance. Once operational, you should use the virtual IP address to communicate with the cluster. Configure all appliances within the cluster to use the same Cluster Identifier. If you are setting up multiple clusters on the same subnet, use the Cluster Identifier to specify the appliances within each cluster."

• 3. Re: Cluster Identifier
              Jon Scholten

Hi Sridhar,

Ah yes! Sorry, cluster is used in so many ways. I typically think of cluster as in "Configuration cluster" meaning policy is synced between all nodes.

If you are talking about cluster in terms of traffic sharing, see Re: MWG 7 clustering with 2 independant Proxy HA clusters, this talks about setting a "MFEND_LBID" per groups of MWGs. If each group has its own ID, then traffic will only be shared within that group.

Best Regards,

Jon

• 4. Re: Cluster Identifier
                chvgms

Where should i mention the identify value?

• 5. Re: Cluster Identifier
                  chvgms

Thx for the article. is it possible to change using GUI?

• 6. Re: Cluster Identifier
                    Jon Scholten

Hi Sridhar,

It is not possible to do it from the GUI (otherwise I would have suggested it )

The value is arbitrary, I think it needs to be less than 100. You will also need to adjust the VRRP Router ID (from the GUI), I usually set the MFEND ID to match it (for sanity's sake).

Best Regards,

Jon