1 2 3 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 11:10 AM by catdaddy

Windows 10 issues and a broader message

landrin

I helped a friend install Windows 10 yesterday, and the whole process went great until we restarted the computer. It bluescreened as soon as it booted, with the following error: driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (mfewfpk.sys). After a lot of fighting, we managed to get into safe mode and delete the driver in question, which we know for sure is connected to McAfee.

Upon further research, I found multiple other threads of similar problems. Apparently, McAfee programs do not play nice with Windows 10.

I have two big reasons for posting this. One, I want to know if this is an update issue- she had uninstalled McAfee years ago, and I wonder if the driver being out of date was the problem. I have up to date McAfee Total Protection on all of my computers- will these cause issues with Windows 10?

As I have done research, it appears that they very likely WILL cause problems with the new OS, which leads me to a huge question- WHY? Microsoft gave a solid year's worth of warning to program developers to allow them time to update their software for the new OS. This is one of the few times I have ever seen Microsoft do something in really the right way. It seems very strange to me that at $100 per year, McAfee appears to have been totally blindsided by the new OS. I'm also very disheartened by the lack of communication on McAfee's end- it took me far, far too long to find the article (link below) detailing how to upgrade to Win10. This should be front-page stuff, plastered in MASSIVE LETTERS for the public to see so we don't have to go through 30 minutes of fixing a crashing computer.

But, this actually leads to another large complaint about McAfee that I feel needs to be addressed here- she had uninstalled the program from her computer years ago. WHY were there files still on her computer from McAfee? This is a quite consistent problem with your software- even if I run your uninstall tool, there are ALWAYS still files left over- mainly drivers. And because those drivers are system drivers, they can cause issues like this. In fact, they HAVE caused issues with me before- I recently reinstalled McAfee on my gaming desktop and it caused a memory leak that BROKE THE OPERATING SYSTEM. I had to replace it. That was a fun 7 hours with tech support.

I have to rant a little bit, because it's pretty frustrating to have to go through all of this to figure out one simple thing.

• 1. Re: Windows 10 issues and a broader message
          Peter M

Rant away, that's what we are here for to at least try to answer questions.

The software fully supports Windows 10, however, certain versions issued by partners such as your ISP or your PC maker may not be fully compatible yet as they often hang on to upgrades for whatever the reason.

Yes a few people have experienced problems but the reasons for that are vague, it could be clashing software or drivers needing updating for the new system, who knows?  Support would be best equipped to investigate that.

The problems listed in this community are minimal when considering the user base is in the hundreds of millions.

McAfee has free Technical Support by phone or online chat, link below.

I have the software installed in Windows 7 and two Windows 10 installations and have no issues.

Regarding leftovers when software is removed, that can happen, but as with all secureity software makers, McAfee has a removal tool for that very purpose and always did have.:   http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

Toronto ▪ Canada
          Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
          I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
          Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
          Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

• 2. Re: Windows 10 issues and a broader message
            kjello

After 6 months with technical preview and no McAfee, i reinstalled McAfee Internet Security, first thing i was unhappy with was the Siteadvisor, i have to uninstall and reinstall to get Webadvisor.

After that Webadvisor replaced Siteadvisor everywhere, but sometimes i got a message from Siteadvisor ?

The worse problem was 2 times when i restart pc and McAfee didnt autostart, i was completely without firewall and protections.Only way to start McAfee again was through the desktop icon !

5 days ago i did a clean install with format C: from Win10 bootdvd, now i dont want to mess up my pc, i wait with McAfee, and thrust Defender and default firewall.

I think McAfee and Win10 need to work more with everything, and i let Win10 update without 3rd party softwares for a while.

• 3. Re: Windows 10 issues and a broader message
              Peter M

Uninstall everything McAfee via Control Panel.

Run the MCPR cleanup.

Reboot

Install from your online account.

Let SiteAdvisor or WebAdvisor update on their own to the supported version.

All that takes is one or two reboots usually.

• 4. Re: Windows 10 issues and a broader message
                catdaddy

kjello said    ( "The worse problem was 2 times when i restart pc and McAfee didnt autostart, i was completely without firewall and protections.Only way to start McAfee again was through the desktop icon")

Normally in the past the McAfee Icon would (Immediately) appear in the system tray after a Restart. With the inception of Windows 10. Microsoft has requested McAfee/Partners/Anti-Virus Vendors to (Delay) certain processes at start-up, to allow Windows processes to load.

Now it is usually a minute or so before you see McAfee UI appear, shortly before the Windows Action Center does. Please be self-assured that the delay does not include your McAfee Firewall/Protection processes/services.

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

• 5. Re: Windows 10 issues and a broader message
                  kjello

Now i started pc only to reply this (i read with in Note 3) not possible to log in here with android Chrome.

I hardly never use my pc, i use android tablet or phone or PS4.

But next time i install McAfee i make a custom install, whithout Siteadvisor to avoid this; Re: Internet Security 2015 Windows 10 technical prevew ?

And why install Siteadvisor only to update to Webadvisor ? i better install only Webadvisor clean when possible.

There the first reboot with no protection at all, because after install, i choose reboot now from the website, browser open direct when restarted,

and after a minute i get a popup with the message; all firewalls and antivirus was off !

after more than a minute i still dont see any McAfee icon in toolbar, then i started it with McAfee desktop icon.

And as i already say in previous post, now i have make a clean install with format C, there are absolutely nothing left of McAfee. all hardware drivers was gone too, ive reinstalled all drivers from lenovo site.

Need some more days/weeks to make sure everything is configured on my pc. Before installing McAfee again.

• 6. Re: Windows 10 issues and a broader message
                    Peter M

OK, good luck ;-)

• 7. Re: Windows 10 issues and a broader message
                      cohbraz

The last Mcafee Total Protection install I did, earlier this past week, I downloaded directly from my account online. It installed with Webadvisor instead of Siteadvisor, so no update was needed. I think that was the first install I have seen where Webadvisor was directly installed with the rest of the package.

• 8. Re: Windows 10 issues and a broader message
                        Peter M

cohbraz wrote:

The last Mcafee Total Protection install I did, earlier this past week, I downloaded directly from my account online. It installed with Webadvisor instead of Siteadvisor, so no update was needed. I think that was the first install I have seen where Webadvisor was directly installed with the rest of the package.

That's how it should happen.  Don't forget that WebAdvisor has just been released, so there has been a period where some people got it and others didn't depending on what was on their local McAfee server.

No matter, all will upgrade, except anyone sticking with XP.

• 9. Re: Windows 10 issues and a broader message
                          kjello

Reason I wait with installing McAfee

My Win10 are clean install US English only, no Swedish language pack. Only Location are Sweden.

I log in to US McAfee site and get a very small install file, when i run that file here in Sweden, it seems like install downloading from Sweden McAfee (very old files)

Are there any way to  get McAfee internet security 2015 latest version install files, all directly from US McAfee site ?

(I think Sweden McAfee are always older, because they probably translate everything to Swedish)

1 2 3 Previous Next