1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2015 12:23 PM by mmcgary

upgrade 4.6 to 5.3

roryniland

I have EPO 4.6 on windows 2003 x86, with sql on the same server, virtual

I want to create a new 5.3 EPO with the same name without affecting the old one

I used the compatibility migration tool to migrate the settings to the new server, 2012 r2 with sql 2012 R2,

Then took the new server offline renamed to the same name

Installed sql 2012

restored the old DB into the new SQL

and ran the migrate to target and

then did the EPO software install,

problem how do I get it update the old db recently restored? , if I point the install at the old db it says sorry need a version 5.3 db not 4.6

I'd like to check the new EPO in a bubble before I turn off the old and join the new to the domain with the OLD name.

thanks

• 1. Re: upgrade 4.6 to 5.3
          mmcgary

Do you have a supported 2008+ sql version on your old 4.6 server so that the db is already upgraded? I've never done it the way you're doing it but I imagine the edits in the sql migration KB should work fine: McAfee KnowledgeBase - Recommended procedure for migrating or moving an ePO database to a new SQL server

• 2. Re: upgrade 4.6 to 5.3
            roryniland

I know how to move the database .. the question is how do I get the upgrade process to upgrade the schema to 5.3 of a different DB

I want leave the old server alone

Why did mcafee create an entire migration tool and then leave the DB migration completely blind?

• 3. Re: upgrade 4.6 to 5.3
              mmcgary

The reason we didn't include the db migration in the tool is because the database is hosted on a Microsoft product and migrating a database is a Microsoft-supported function. If something went wrong during the database migration process we would be expected to support that which we can't do.

The new server that has the migrated EPO directories, reg keys and service still points to the 4.6 database that is listed in the db.properties file and registry location so it doesn't matter where it is as long as it is reachable according to the information. If the upgrade doesn't see it then you will get errors similar to what you are getting.

• 4. Re: upgrade 4.6 to 5.3
                roryniland

I wasn't requesting that the tool moved the database

Merely that it prompted for which database to upgrade, instead of assuming that people want to upgrade their old db in situ .. hence burn their old server and restore the db should there be issues

I have restored the 4.6 db to the new server I just want to upgrade that one.. all offline

• 5. Re: upgrade 4.6 to 5.3
                  mmcgary

A specific EPO file system is tied to its specific EPO database. I'm not sure what you mean by "...it prompted for which database to upgrade, instead of assuming that people want to upgrade their old db". You have to upgrade the database that's associated with the file system on the server that you're running the upgrade from. If you want to migrate the database before you upgrade you need to make absolutely sure the database is reachable at the locations specified in the db.properties and registry. The steps for migrating a database are the same regardless of how many copies you have of the same database in different locations.

• 6. Re: upgrade 4.6 to 5.3
                    roryniland

I know what DB I want to upgrade, The tool should have somewhere where you say which db to upgrade, is that hard to understand ?

Is there a way I can leave my old 4.6 EPO server running and on a new offline server run through the upgrade ? Please list the steps

• 7. Re: upgrade 4.6 to 5.3
                      mmcgary

The tool doesn't touch your database so why would it ask you which database to upgrade?? The tool copies your EPO file system, disables the old EPO services, extracts the file system to a different server, adds a few registry keys and a Tomcat service. That's it. Other than the services being stopped and disabled on your old server you will still have a fully functional 4.6 server and database. As I said before the upgrade itself uses the db.properties file and registry location to determine the location of the database. As long as you modify the locations from the db migration KB you never have to touch your old production database.

• 8. Re: upgrade 4.6 to 5.3
                        roryniland

From the 5.3 install guide :

To reuse an existing 32-bit McAfee ePO database:

1 Use the Upgrade Compatibility Utility to convert an existing 32-bit McAfee ePO server configuration

to the new 64-bit server configuration and start a McAfee ePO custom installation. See 32-bit

Upgrade Compatibility Utility overview for details.

2 During the upgrade, the existing 32-bit McAfee ePO SQL database is configured by default.

Can you explain step by step how to create a new 64 bit EPO server, without affecting the old one

I have a 32 bit windows server with a 32 bit SQL db

I have a new 64 bit 2012R2 server with SQL 2012 it is to be the same name as the old server when confirmed all is ok while offline

• 9. Re: upgrade 4.6 to 5.3
                          nteferi

Hi
                          Please follow this :  KB71078
                          How to migrate ePO from a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system (or to a different installation path)

Or let me explain step by step approach to get this job done!

1. Move the ePO Database from Old ePO to new ePO server,

2. Import ePO Database to New Sql Server,

3. Point the Old ePO to New Sql server,

Note: Step 1 to 3 are for those who would like to migrate the database along with ePO server from 32 bit to 64 bit, if you are using Centralize SQL server skip the step 1 to 3 and start from step 5.

4. Extract the ePO 5.3 setup run the upgradecompatibility tool to create the Migrate.zip file on the ePO 4.x server

5. Copy the Migrate.zip onto the 64bit Win2008 R2 server (which will host your ePO 5.3)

6. On the 64bit server, Extract the ePO 5.3 setup and run the .upgradecompatibility tool (select target option)

7. Specify the path to Migrate.zip you copied in the previous step

8. click Migrate which will extract the zip contents and make entries in the registry.

9. Run the ePO 5.3v setup and follow the instructions - at the Database credentials screen, the database server and ePO database name is hardcoded to the existing ePO 4.6 database.

10. Key in the ePO database username and password (either windows authentication or sql authentication)

11. Run through the remaining steps.

12. The upgrade should complete on the new ePO 5.3 box.

The best and easysest soultion would be :

To keep the  EPO 4.6 running and spun up a new VM with server 2008 R2.
                          installed EPO 5.3 and configured it to use a new SQL DB.
                          Then configured EPO 5.3 (policies [can export from 4.6 EPO server and import to 5.3],
                          tasks, check-in software etc..) and  registered the EPO 5.3 server on the EPO 4.6 console.

Please follow the KB

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB79283

Once that is done ran both EPO servers in parallel and started transferring systems from the EPO 4.6
                          server to the EPO 5.3 server.

Let me know if you need additional information .

Cheers

1 2 Previous Next