2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2007 1:37 AM by Hadesdareal

When connect through VPN - Virusscan uninstall

Hi
      We arer running 8.0i and epo 3.6.1 with the latest patches.
      We have configured Laptops that when they are in our internal LAN they go to distr. Repo´s for updating.
      Additional they have in their Repository list the http Repository.
      So when they outside of our LAN that they can still update.
      On some of the Laptops i have a weird behaviour.
      When they login via VPN from home to our internal LAN sometimes the Virusscan deinstall. Then the VPN client see that there is no Virusscan installed and closing the connection.
      We have configured our VPN Client that he should look if a Virusscan is installed.
      But why the Virusscan deinstall himself??
      Any Ideas??
      Thanks in advance for your help.

Hades
        • 1. RE: When connect through VPN - Virusscan uninstall
          hi,

the policies you have assigned in the epo Directory....

have you set the deployment task to uninstall VirusScan on the lost and found container perhaps ?

connecting over a VPN, may assign a new mac address to the connecting computer ( that of the VPN client) the ePO Server may create a new entry in the ePO DB for this computer, since its initial search uses the MAC address , its complex, and difficulyt to explain, and requires a number of factors to be true,

but it is possible that the ePO agent is picking up the MAC address of the vpn client, talking to the epO Server, who is seeing it either as a new client, or an update to an existing client who holds the same MAC address ( perhaps another VPN client), therefore either creating an entry for the computer in a different place in the directory tree, which has a different deployment task policy - ie virusscan = uninstall

if i remember correctly, it isnt obvious which computers have different deployment tasks, unless you look in the SQL DB, and look at the task assignment mappings ( complex to explain)

if the epo agent is uninstalling VSE, it will tell you in the agent_computername.log in the all users profile,

HTH<
          • 2. RE: When connect through VPN - Virusscan uninstall
            thx for the help !! will look in the logs..

In this particular problem i already have the solution.
            I have split up in EPO different Organisation units. (differ by IP ranges)
            This client is usally in his OU lets say east (with settings set to language english)
            Somehow this client has landed in a completely different OU (complete different IP range!) with language german.
            So when the client access through VPN EPO was checking the language. The EPO uninstall the VSE with english language and try to install the german lang.
            Because off the VPN client is checking a present Virusscan the VPN closes the connection after uninstall the VSE !
            I took a deeper look in EPO and found out that there are many clients in other OU´s and i dont know why?
            I have checked the IP ranges and they are all right.

Hades