3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2007 4:59 AM by boohbah

EPO 4.0 install error

I got the Mcafee EPO 4.0.0 Build 1015 MSI Package #4 (ENU-LICENSED-RELEASE-MAIN ) recently. I installed a new Windows2003 server (standard) , updated SP2 and all patches, then installed EPO 4.0. I use SQL 2005 express which come from EPO and every install setps follow the epo_400_rc_installguide_en-us.pdf. I am assure that there is no personnel mistake, but the consequence is not happy. The installation process been interrupted before finished. Some information from core-install.log as follows:

[echo] catalina.home is D:/PROGRA~1/McAfee/EPOLIC~1/server

file-subs:
      [echo] Doing passphrase encryption
      [echo] Completed passphrase encryption
      [copy] Copying 9 files to D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\server
      [copy] Copying 1 file to D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\server
      [copy] Copying 1 file to D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\server
      [propertyfile] Creating new property file: D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\server\conf\orion\orion.properties
      [propertyfile] Creating new property file: D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\server\conf\orion\db.properties

create-database:
      [create-database] log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (com.mcafee.orion.core.db.base.Database).
      [create-database] log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
      [create-database] java.sql.SQLException: Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

[create-database] at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SQLDiagnostic.addDiagnostic(SQLDiagnostic.java:367)
      [create-database] at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.tdsErrorToken(TdsCore.java:2816)
      [create-database] at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.nextToken(TdsCore.java:2254)
      [create-database] at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.login(TdsCore.java:609)
      [create-database] at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC2.<init>(ConnectionJDBC2.java:344)
      [create-database] at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC3.<init>(ConnectionJDBC3.java:50)
      [create-database] at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:182)
      [create-database] at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:582)
      [create-database] at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:185)
      [create-database] at com.mcafee.orion.core.db.base.Database.getConnectionNoPool(Database.java:238)
      [create-database] at com.mcafee.orion.core.db.base.Database.getConnection(Database.java:216)
      [create-database] at com.mcafee.orion.core.install.CreateDatabaseTask.execute(CreateDatabaseTask.jav a:58)
      [create-database] at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:275)
      [create-database] at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:364)
      [create-database] at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:341)
      [create-database] at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:369)
      [create-database] at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1216)
      [create-database] at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1185)
      [create-database] at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java :40)
      [create-database] at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1068)
      [create-database] at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:668)
      [create-database] at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:187)
      [create-database] at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:246)
      [create-database] at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:67)

BUILD FAILED
      D:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Installer\core\build.xml:325: java.sql.SQLException: Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

The foregoing log from connect SQL by windows authentication. If install SQL 2005 by manual and use mix authentication (windows + sa), then the error is : "[create-database] java.sql.SQLException: Login failed for user "sa".

Anyway, EPO can't connect with SQL, I don't know what is the reason.

I didn't found the relevant solution from internet, Mcafee KB and Mcafee technology support. So someone can help me ? thank you.
        • 1. RE: EPO 4.0 install error
          hmm,

i seem to remember that you always see "logon failed for user " not associated with a trusted SQL server connection" if the ePO Server does not provide NTLM2 authentication to the SQL server ( if the GPOs require NTLM v2 ) - it is difficult to help with this going blind, so lets use SQL authentication....

i would get the install working with SQL authentication- how did you install the database ? as part of the ePO install, or was it already installed by something else?

if you look on the internet for enabling mixed mode authentication, this should help.
          • 2. RE: EPO 4.0 install error
            Thanks for boohbah reply. This problem has been solved. The reason is windows 2003 administrator's password is complex. my windows password compliance with our security standard, but Mcafee don't use complex password when you install EPO.

There is a sentance in Mcafee EPO 4.0 release notes:
            "Using extended or double-byte characters in the global administrator or database user name or password might prevent the software from installing successfully. To workaround this issue, install the software using a Domain User that has a “simple” password. After the installation, log on to the ePO server, go to https://<SERVER>:8443/core/config, change the credentials to a User Account with a “complex” password, then restart the ePO services."
            • 3. RE: EPO 4.0 install error
              ah, good to know how this issue manifests itself,

thanks for coming back to us