2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2007 6:21 AM by UKTonyK

Custom Query Question - ePO 3.6 and 4

Don't know if it is possible, and if it is it is beyond my knowledge scope, so I thought I would throw it out to you guys to see if someone can come up with a solution.

As part of the dreaded SOX compliance, every month I have to produce seperate reports showing that 15 random workstations and 15 random servers are up to date with DATs, scan engines , etc.
      Currently, using 3.6, I open the reporting and just select 15 random clients by clicking on them and then running the report and exporting it. Now I am looking at a way of automating this procedure. I am aware that v4 can schedule certain types of reports ( which isn't available in 3.6), but is there a way of getting a report to randomly select a certain amount of clients and run and export it out?
        • 1. No random function, but...
          mdyer
          There's no random function but you could easily write an EPO4 query that picked up machines based on last-check in. You could also schedule in a wake-up call that uses a randomized period to mix things up a bit.

However, the problem with this approach is that you're only reporting on machines that are checking in rather than ALL machines defined.

It might be easier to write a query that exports the basic details out to a text file and then trigger a script to pick 15 random lines from the file and email.

I've written a lot of queries but I haven't run across anything that does specifically what you're asking for. I'll try to dig around this afternoon and see if I can come up with any more ideas.
          • 2. RE: No random function, but...
            Anything you could find would be fantastic.

many thanks for your time and effort.