3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2009 9:26 AM by JeffGerard

ePO server problems.  100% processor usage.

Since Tuesday of last week my ePO server has been unusable. Processor usage is pegged at 100% for days at a time. The transaction log of my database had grown to over 20GB. It seems that on that day a dat was downloaded and the catalog.z file, apparently downloaded with it, was corrupted when checked in.

Removed the current and previous dats. That worked for a day or so. No errors anywhere. Started doing it again on Monday.

The machine:
      VM server hosting a few other servers on it.
      Windows 2000 SP4, built about 3 or 4 years ago.
      1GB RAM allocated to it.
      2.8 GHz Xeon allocated.
      100MB network connection directly to the 1GB backbone.

A little explaination of what these processes do for me would be nice:

apache.exe - a web server....what does it have to do with ePO???

tomcat.exe - another web server...once again what does it have to do with ePO?

Eventparser.exe - no clue, but I would assume it's the service that writes out to the sql server.

I do understand that most of the files are xml and I also understand the console is essentially just viewing webpages, but when no one is doing anything on the server why are these processes still maxing the CPU out?

I have also had to add quite a few exclusions to the on-access scanner so that it won't scan every item that those three processes are touching.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jhuggans
        • 1. RE: ePO server problems.  100% processor usage.
          metalhead
          Did you apply Patch 2 for ePO 3.60 ?

All answers are AFAIK :-)

apache.exe - a web server....what does it have to do with ePO???

The apache webserver connects to the database and writes/reads data from it. It is also responsible for the communication with the clients (epo agents)

tomcat.exe - another web server...once again what does it have to do with ePO?

You epo console connects to the tomcat server, so it is responsible for the display of the console content. Also it communicates with the sensors and sends the notifications

Eventparser.exe - no clue, but I would assume it's the service that writes out to the sql server

The eventparser reads events and infos send by the client and converts it. Afterwards the info is send to the epo server service to be written to the db.

Cheers TOm
          • 2. RE: ePO server problems.  100% processor usage.
            My server was doing the same thing, one the dashboard items I had was the VSE:Malware Detection chart displayed. Once I removed it my cpu usage dropped from 100%. You may want to look at what charts are being displayed. Hope this helps. happy
            • 3. RE: ePO server problems.  100% processor usage.
              JeffGerard
              check your database assuming it is off-box. Make sure it is able to grow if needed. I ran into a similar issue and my db had to be manually increased in size.