1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2009 8:23 AM by jeangaud

Server move

Hi,

Currently running EPO Server 3.5.0 with CMA 3.5.0 patch 4. We would like to move the server to a new machine (different name AND different IP). Can this be done?
        • 1. RE: Server move
          Not sure about moving to a differnt name and IP but I recently asked about moving to a new machine with the same ip and name and got some useful info back, maybe some of it's relevant to you too

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=54150
          • 2. RE: Server move
            Arjen
            It can be done, as long as the old server is not reachable anymore on his name and IP address.

Otherwise you have to deply new agents to all of your clients or edit the server.ini on all of your clients
            • 3. RE: Server move
              Arjen,

Thanks for the response!

How would you proceed? How should we do this in a production environment?

Something like this?
              1) backup database on old server
              2) shutdown old server
              3) install epo on new server
              4) restore database on new server
              • 4. RE: Server move
                metalhead
                1) Backup db on old server
                2) Install new server and epo with the SAME port numbers as the old one - install the SAME release version as on your old server
                3) Checking NAPs and package in your new server to have the same policies as the old one
                4) Stop epo services on the new server
                5) restore the db
                6) use cfgnaims.exe to tell the epo services to use the "old" database (remember it is named ePO_oldservername)
                7) rollout the new agent (or the new sitelist.xml) to your clients

Cheers Tom
                • 5. RE: Server move
                  Anyone pls correct me if I'm wrong...

Just in case rolling out new clients is an issue (as it would be in my environment). You may be able to do a phased approach such as change the IP first and let the agents update their sitelist. After all the clients have updated their sitelist.xml then change the machine name using the directions.

A client will try and contact via IP and also by FQDN . If it can communicate one of the ways it will update the sitelist.xml with the correct info.

But...if you can roll out a new client easily then I would go that way happy
                  • 6. RE: Server move
                    metalhead
                    The way dsdr described will work. Another way would be to set the epo agent to "install" in the deployment task of your old epo server and take the framepkg.exe from the NEW server. This one should then be copied to the olds server repository. So the clients will see its a new agent version and will install it, getting the sitelist of the new server.

This can also be done with distributed reps as described in one of the sticky posts. Important is that you do not restart the epo server services on the old server as this would recreated the original frmaepkg.exe on this server.

Cheers Tom
                    • 7. RE: Server move

Tom,

I would like to dig up this 'old' post as I'm left with a few questions.

1) I guess the old server should not be available (epo services down would be enough I guess) once the new server is online or doesn't it matter in this scenario? Or can they co-exist so that you can update the agent in phases?

2) You tell me to rollout the new agent or the new sitelist.xml. I guess you mean just replacing the existing sitelist.xml on the clients with one from the server? Which file will that be on the server? I think there's more then one... I think replacing files on the clients is easier then rolling out a new agent, right?

Kind regards,

Christophe.
                      • 8. RE: Server move
                        metalhead

1) I guess the old server should not be available (epo services down would be enough I guess) once the new server is online or doesn't it matter in this scenario? Or can they co-exist so that you can update the agent in phases?

You can run them together and migrate step by step, because the server have different names and ips.

2) You tell me to rollout the new agent or the new sitelist.xml. I guess you mean just replacing the existing sitelist.xml on the clients with one from the server? Which file will that be on the server? I think there's more then one... I think replacing files on the clients is easier then rolling out a new agent, right?

It is the sitelist.xml in the <epo install dir>\DB folder. You will have to restart the framework service on the client after copying the file to it. This is not necessary if you install the framepkg.exe from the new server. What is the current epo agent version you have installed on your clients ?

Cheers TOm
                        • 9. RE: Server move

1 2 Previous Next