Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
50960 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 11:34 AM by cbohs RSS
mcdave Apprentice 210 posts since
Jul 20, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 18, 2004 7:12 AM

Remove Agent (Framework)

I just noticed that "frminst.exe /REMOVE=AGENT" doesn't remove the agent but only stops & restart the service Framework service.

"frminst.exe /forceuninstall" does work perfectly

are there other hidden parameters like "/forceuninstall" I couln't find it in the manuals.

What is the best way to reinstall the agent?
just run framepkg.exe again over an old installation or first uninstall it and reinstall it?

Can I remove the agent as normal user?
If not can I add credentials to remove the agent?
If possible can I imbed the credentials like you can do with framepkg Wizard?

thx
Dave
  • Code_Green Senior Member 53 posts since
    Jun 4, 2004
    1. Aug 18, 2004 8:51 AM (in response to mcdave)
    RE: Remove Agent (Framework)

are there other hidden parameters like "/forceuninstall" I couln't find it in the manuals.

Framepkg.exe/frminst.exe command line switches: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=29652

See pages 289-292 ("Agent installation command-line options") in the product guide for a more detailed guide.

What is the best way to reinstall the agent?
    just run framepkg.exe again over an old installation or first uninstall it and reinstall it?

You have two main options to re-install the agent. 1) Install from the console by right clicking the group or individual PC in the directory that you want to reinstall the agent on and choosing "send agent install" OR 2) create a custom agent install package from the console (framepkg.exe), giving it an account with local admin rights on the PCs, and manually running it on the PCs. (You can use the same command line switches as are available for frminst as specified above)

I have never had a problem just installing the agent back over the top. However if this proves problematic in some cases it can be worth uninstalling first.

Can I remove the agent as normal user?
    If not can I add credentials to remove the agent?
    If possible can I imbed the credentials like you can do with framepkg Wizard?

If users know the command line they can uninstall it but not many users would. I will have to have a look into this one as I am not 100% sure or perhaps Master Yoda can offer some help here wink

Code_Green
    McAfee MANIAC
    Green not Red - http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99142.htm
  • Code_Green Senior Member 53 posts since
    Jun 4, 2004
    3. Aug 18, 2004 9:33 AM (in response to mcdave)
    You're right. I never really noticed that. happy They do mention /forceinstall in passing when they talk about logon scripts on page 287.

Perhaps they don't want it to be too common knowledge on how to uninstall it. *shrugs* I have heard it quite a bit on /forceuninstall but I haven't heard any other "secret" switches. Let us know if you find anymore wink

Code_Green
    McAfee MANIAC
    Green not Red - http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99142.htm
  • MPDano Newcomer 1 posts since
    Apr 7, 2004
    4. Dec 15, 2004 4:16 PM (in response to mcdave)
    Please excuse my ignorance, but can someone please tell me exactly where to type this?

frminst.exe /forceuninstall

I tried in the run and dos window. Am I misssing something?
  • Newcomer 1 posts since
    Jun 22, 2009
    6. Jun 22, 2009 11:34 AM (in response to mcdave)
    use msiexec command to completey remove the agent
    To cleanly and silently remove the agent such that it no longer appears in add/remove programs and the MSI product code is truly uninstalled:

msiexec /x ProductCode forceuninstall=true /qn

example to remove 4.0 agent:

msiexec /x {F2969393-2D4D-4977-8166-B1251B08EF12} forceuninstall=true /qn

Any other solution using frminst.exe or framepkg.exe does not truly uninstall the agent MSI.

Clark Bohs

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)