3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 9:27 AM by greg.wolford

Installation of MSMS 3.0 fails in the CreateWebVirtualDirectory action

greg.wolford

I've included a part of the installation log below that shows the point of error.  We discovered before this installation attempt that the installation program assumes that inetpub is on the C drive, which in our case is inaccurate, because it's on the D drive.  We were previously getting an error that we determined was caused by the lack of the path "C:\inetput\wwwroot".  We created that path, and believe the installation progressed slightly further.

Set bindings sounds like it may have something to do with IIS, but this is HTTP on some non-standard port, and there is already a binding in place for this port/protocol combination.  The PortalShield virtual directory is getting partially created in IIS, in that there is a folder that's pointing to the McAfee installation under Program Files.  It is apparently incomplete though, because the icon for the virtual directory in IIS Manager doesn't look like it's actually a virtual directory.

Action ended 11:41:22: CreateWebSite. Return value 0.

Action 11:41:22: CreateWebVirtualDirectory. Creating VirtualDirectory...

Action start 11:41:22: CreateWebVirtualDirectory.

1: Create Web Directory start

1: Finding IISID from STS location for SPS 2013

1: IISID = 1720713601

1: Defaulting IISID to 1720713601

1: Current IISID value : 1720713601

1: Finding VirtualDir PortalShield

1: Creating VirtualDir PortalShield

1: Setting properties VirtualDir PortalShield

1: Finding WebDir Downloads

1: Creating WebDir Downloads

1: Setting DownLoad Properties

1: Written IIS_ID_USED

1: Set bindings

1: Set bindings failed

Action ended 11:41:26: CreateWebVirtualDirectory. Return value 3.

Action ended 11:41:26: INSTALL. Return value 3.

• 1. Re: Installation of MSMS 3.0 fails in the CreateWebVirtualDirectory action

During install you will have been asked for a port (45900 default)  - would this port be occupied or blocked??

At point of error  - in registry  - is  HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\McAfee\McAfee Portalshield\SystemState availabe??

Does these exist??

SPSVersion (has this picked up 2013)

Port  (has this the correct port and as above is in  use or blocked)

As of last night MSMS 3.5 has been released and is available for download with your grant number.  Maybe its worth a try to see if any difs?? 

• 2. Re: Installation of MSMS 3.0 fails in the CreateWebVirtualDirectory action
            greg.wolford

I have tried 3 different ports for the web server, 45900, 80, and 443.  Since this is likely being accessed localhost there shouldn't be a blocking issue.  Independently I've been able to create a site on the server that is binding to port 45900, and I could access it localhost.

At the point of failure the McAfee PortalShield site has been created, and there's a PortalShield virtual directory pointing to a valid location, but the web site is in some invalid state where the start icon isn't even enabled.

The SharePoint version is 2013, a recent build.

The registry location you asked about does exist after the failure.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\McAfee\McAfee PortalShield\SystemState]

"Platform64Wow"=dword:00000000

"EngineVersion"="5600.1067"

"SPSTimeoutInMS"=dword:000f3e58

"DatVersion"="7152.0000"

"DatDate"="2013-07-30T00:00:00"

"DATInstallDate"="2015-07-24T10:13:05"

"AVAdminUrl"="https://----------.----.---/"

"LangID"=dword:00000409

"ServicePack"=""

"UpdateList"="VSCANDAT1000;VSCANENG1000;EXTRADAT1000"

"ProductVersion"="3.0.1247.115"

"ProductName"="McAfee Security for Microsoft SharePoint"

"EngineInstallDate"="2015-07-24T10:13:05"

"Instances"=""

"TotalScans"=dword:00000000

"AvgScanTime"=dword:00000000

"configureResults"=dword:00000001

• 3. Re: Installation of MSMS 3.0 fails in the CreateWebVirtualDirectory action
              greg.wolford

I did try version 3.5, and at first I was getting a different error than with the 3.0 product.  For the 3.5 installation I was getting error 1720 during the McCopySPS_SpecificFilesToBin action.  I finally determined that scrrun.dll needed to be registered; I registered both the 32 and 64-bit versions, though it's possible only the 64-bit version was necessary.  The background on why this particular dll was not registered, is that these systems went through a DoD information assurance process, where it's required to un-register that dll.