1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2016 2:02 AM by boschind

VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 installation fails.

aguzman

Hello Community,

I am having a strange issue trying to install VSE 8.8 onto my workstations. The same error happens wither I set a scheduled install or deploy it using the "Run Client Task" option under actions. When it is installing, I get the first 2 bars as green but then the 3 bar turns red and states the task failed. When I check the sever task log, the results show that the task started by failed right away. It doesn't give me an error code as to why it failed.

VSE Error.jpg

So I proceeded to check the Agent log on the machine. The strange thing I see in the log is the Scheduler invokes the task, verifies the file, but then deletes the task and states the task was successful.

7/17/2015, 11:26:23 AM

Info

Agent

Agent communication session closed

Info

Agent

Agent is connecting to ePO server

Info

Agent

Agent communication session started

Info

Agent

Package uploaded to ePO Server successfully

7/17/2015, 11:26:25 AM

Info

Agent

Info

Agent

Info

Agent

Sending the next batch of 1 data channel items

7/17/2015, 11:26:26 AM

Info

Agent

7/17/2015, 11:26:26 AM

Info

Agent

No package received from ePO Server

7/17/2015, 11:26:28 AM

Info

Updater

Loading update configuration from: catalog.xml

Info

Updater

Extracting catalog.z.

Info

Updater

Verifying catalog.z.

Info

Updater

Initializing update...

Info

Updater

Checking update packages from repository <ePO SERVER REPO>.

Info

Scheduler

Scheduler: Invoking task [Deploy VirusScan Enterprise 8.8]...

Info

Scheduler

Added a new task Deploy VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 to Scheduler's task list

7/17/2015, 11:26:30 AM

Info

Updater

Update Finished

Info

Updater

Verifying VSE880Det.McS.

Info

Updater

Verifying VSE880Det.McS.

7/17/2015, 11:26:37 AM

Info

Agent

Info

Agent

Info

Agent

Info

Agent

Info

Agent

7/17/2015, 11:26:42 AM

Info

Scheduler

The task Deploy VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 is deleted (ID={35850398-9301-4FDD-9196-B6568155E862})

Info

Scheduler

Scheduler: Task [Deploy VirusScan Enterprise 8.8] is finished

Info

Scheduler

The task Deploy VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 is successful

7/17/2015, 11:26:49 AM

Info

Agent

Info

Agent

Info

Agent

Info

Agent

Info

Agent

7/17/2015, 11:29:30 AM

Info

Agent

Agent is looking for events to upload

Anyone have any idea as to why this task deletes itself and does not install? Only a few machines are affected by this, all the others seem to work fine.

• 1. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 installation fails.
          exbrit

Moved to VSE for faster response

---

Peter

• 2. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 installation fails.
            hem

Seems, you are running 'Run client task now' feature and the task will be deleted upon completed.

This is perfectly expected behavior.

• 3. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 installation fails.
              tomz2

Are you certain that the systems in question don't already have VSE on them?

The log snippet isn't showing a failure. EPO can show "failure" for anything from agent timeout to an actual failure.

If the systems do have VSE installed but it does not report as such within ePO, you may have a broken agent plugin in which case you'd want to contact Support to determine the easiest path to resolution.

• 4. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 installation fails.
                damiafaw

Verifying VSE880Det.McS and then stopping, tells me you already have it installed or it thinks its installed and therefore doesnt complete.

I see it on my installations, annoying because the product ID's are all the same for version 8.8....so it never "updates" itself unless you do a patch, rather than full install.

Try to run a remove VSE client task first, then when that completes, try to install again.

This usually clears it for me.

Remove all Mcafee programs, then folder, then wipe registry with anything mcafee and then try again.

Other option is to do a MSIZAP.exe on your registry as something is still there/left behind from a bad install/removal.

Or, you can try something similar with the following from command prompt (below is where I have my setupvse.exe on the local machine as still in evaluation branch - Im using the below to fix stuffed installs);

"C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\Evaluation\VIRUSCAN8800\Install\0000\setupvse.exe" REINSTALLMODE=amus /q

or

"C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\Evaluation\VIRUSCAN8800\Install\0000\setupvse.exe" /q

Its annoying, trust me

• 5. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 installation fails.
                  damiafaw

Oh, one problem you may find with running the command prompt install/reinstall command, it may get stuck on stopping the task MCSHIELD.EXE - mine sometimes does and I kill the process and it then runs happily along and finishes.

• 6. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 installation fails.
                    aguzman

tomz2 wrote:

Are you certain that the systems in question don't already have VSE on them?

The log snippet isn't showing a failure. EPO can show "failure" for anything from agent timeout to an actual failure.

If the systems do have VSE installed but it does not report as such within ePO, you may have a broken agent plugin in which case you'd want to contact Support to determine the easiest path to resolution.

From ePO the systems do not show having VSE installed. However, when I connected to one of the machines via RDP I was able to see that VSE shows up in Add/Remove programs. So, at this time it would appear that the agent is not reporting the installed products correctly. I am going to attempt to install the latest version of VSE as an update and not a full product deployment. If this doesn't work, I will try to reinstall the Agent to see if it reports the installed products correctly.

I will update with my findings once this is completed.

• 7. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 installation fails.
                      aguzman

damiafaw wrote:

Verifying VSE880Det.McS and then stopping, tells me you already have it installed or it thinks its installed and therefore doesnt complete.

I see it on my installations, annoying because the product ID's are all the same for version 8.8....so it never "updates" itself unless you do a patch, rather than full install.

Try to run a remove VSE client task first, then when that completes, try to install again.

This usually clears it for me.

Remove all Mcafee programs, then folder, then wipe registry with anything mcafee and then try again.

Other option is to do a MSIZAP.exe on your registry as something is still there/left behind from a bad install/removal.

Or, you can try something similar with the following from command prompt (below is where I have my setupvse.exe on the local machine as still in evaluation branch - Im using the below to fix stuffed installs);

"C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\Evaluation\VIRUSCAN8800\Install\0000\setupvse.exe" REINSTALLMODE=amus /q

or

"C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\Evaluation\VIRUSCAN8800\Install\0000\setupvse.exe" /q

Its annoying, trust me

Running a uninstall VSE task worked like a charm . I saw it uninstall from ADD/REMOVE programs and then I ran the Deploy VSE task, which I saw it complete successfully in the agent log and show up again in ADD/REMOVE programs. I then sent a wakeup call from ePO and it now shows it as an installed product.

I will test this same theory on all the others I am having issues with and let you know the results.

• 8. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 installation fails.
                        meforum

hi,

I had sth like that too. And if I remember correctly, then uninstall task from ePO worked well (than reinstall/deploy).

btw: keep in mind that there where some versions (at least one I think) where you could not update from Patch x to Patch z directly, but have to go to Patch y first (check release notes / install notes)

• 9. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 installation fails.
                          aguzman

Thanks everyone for there input. This issue is resolved from doing an uninstall and reinstall from ePO on those computers showing as missing VSE.

1 2 Previous Next