1 2 3 Previous Next 72 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2015 9:17 AM by Peter M Branched to a new discussion.

McAfee Internet Security Suite causing system crash on Windows 7 PC after update (started 27 June 2015)

luc_paris

Hello,

Since yesterday June 27th '15 I have been experiencing issues with McAfee Internet Security: Real Time Scanning impossible as well as Update problems (before yesterday never any issue). Today after the updating process finally worked, while I was hoping for an improvement,  McAfee now causes every time around 5-10 mins after booting my PC to crash (black screen). I desinstalled McAfee, crashes gone. I installed it again, crashes came back! I installed it a second time after using McAfee Virtual Technician but no improvement, still crashes. I am using a WIndows 7 64-bit PC.

Anybody else having similar issues? How can I get McAfee back working because now I have to use my PC without anti-virus to avoid crashing??

• 1. Re: McAfee Internet Security Suite causing system crash on Windows 7 PC after update (started 27 June 2015)
          lizwhite

Hi-

luc-paris, the same thing happened to me this past weekend (June 27-29).  I also uninstalled/re-installed McAfee software three times.  I also installed McAfee Virtual Technician and ran a scan two times and still no fix.  I'm ready to take a hammer to the computer.

• 2. Re: McAfee Internet Security Suite causing system crash on Windows 7 PC after update (started 27 June 2015)
            Peter M

Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat, link below.

Best both of you go straight to them to diagnose the issue.

Toronto ▪ Canada
            Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
            I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
            Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
            Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

• 3. Re: McAfee Internet Security Suite causing system crash on Windows 7 PC after update (started 27 June 2015)
              luc_paris

Hello lizwhite, thanks for your reaction! For me this is confirming that the problem is coming from one of the recent McAfee updates, otherwise we would never experience the same problem at the same time.

Hi Ex-Brit, thanks for your support and advice. I already contacted McAfee Technical Support twice arlier today, but unfortunately that did not really help:

I started this morning by calling the local support. I explained what happened and the McAfee representative proposed to check some things on my PC. After he made a remote desktop connection he went straight to the Windows EventLog files, looked into it, and told me that he had found the reason of the issue: my hard disk was not working properly! He showed me a few entries indicating disk errors, and his advice was to change my system hard disk, re-install Windows, and then re-install McAfee. Once the call was over I went back to the same System EventLog file and checked it more in detail, especially the lines referring to disk errors. And then I found that the malfunctioning disk was... a USB Key that I had used for the last time more than a month before the McAfee issues started!! So this was definitely not causing the crashes...

Later on I contacted again McAfee Technical Support and I got a new person. She also made a remote desktop connection to my PC and performed a few Windows system scans, until she got a message that some Windows system files - not at all related to McAfee - were not properly configured. She explained me that this was the reason of the issue and that I should do a fresh install of my Windows system. And when I asked her whether the issue could not be coming from an error in the McAfee update, she offered me an appointment with a 'higher level' technician who should be able to help me further by the end of this week...

In both conversations the support people did not ask me any details of what exactly went wrong with my McAfee, what version I had used, whether I had tried to re-install, and they did not check anything related to McAfee. It seemed that they were both pushing me to the easiest way out for them (but not for me): a fresh install of Windows. Extremely disappointing!!

After all this I decided that I did not want to leave my PC without any Anti-Virus until the end of the week, and that McAfee was after all maybe not the best choice. So I installed Norton Security and my PC has had no crashes anymore during the rest of the day...

• 4. Re: McAfee Internet Security Suite causing system crash on Windows 7 PC after update (started 27 June 2015)
                Peter M

Contact them again and ask for escalation if that tech can't help..

I am not experiencing any problems in my 7 installations so have no idea what's causing it on yours.   I'm assuming that this is Windows 7 SP1 fully updated including all updates for Internet Explorer whether or not you use it?

• 5. Re: McAfee Internet Security Suite causing system crash on Windows 7 PC after update (started 27 June 2015)
                  luc_paris

Hi Ex-Brit,

Yes I am using W7 64-bit SP1 with all MS updates for Windows and Internet Explorer (no other browsers).

Since I have now switched over to use another anti-virus, I am not very motivated anymore to escalate it for me (any additional installing and trying can only make it worse for my PC). Apparently I am not the only user suffering from this, so that should be enough alert for McAfee to find and correct the issue instead of pushing users for fresh Windows installs. If I would have any issues with Norton later on, I can always try if by then the issue has been solved (unfortunately I just renewed my McAfee license so I can still switch back if needed).

• 6. Re: McAfee Internet Security Suite causing system crash on Windows 7 PC after update (started 27 June 2015)
                    Peter M

2 people in this thread and this is the first I've heard of 7 simply crashing after an update.   I've seen other issues but not this one.  Anyway, good luck.

;-)

• 7. Re: McAfee Internet Security Suite causing system crash on Windows 7 PC after update (started 27 June 2015)
                      Peacekeeper

Lizwhite maybe as the Op has uninstalled McAfee you can call support and request an escalation.

• 8. Re: McAfee Internet Security Suite causing system crash on Windows 7 PC after update (started 27 June 2015)
                        yogibear

I also have been experiencing problems with McAfee Total Protection since updating on Jun 21/15.  First instance was a blue screen of death!  Dell spent 3 hours trying to resolve the issue thinking it was just corruption of the Windows 7 OS files.  All was good for a few days, then got the blue screen again!  This time a different Dell technician advised me that they had been advised that the latest update to McAfee anti-virus program is causing the issue.  The Dell tech uninstalled the McAfee program & installed Microsoft Security Essentials until such time as McAfee fixes the problem with the program.

However, when I contacted McAfee today, Jul 1, the tech says there is no problem with McAfee! She wanted to know why I was told there was a problem with the program.  Advised her Dell told me but got no response on that. Even told her that maybe they should contact Dell to confirm.  She kept wanting me to reinstall McAfee & I informed her that I wouldn't do so until I knew for sure that the program was fixed.  She would not respond to that at all!  The version that caused the problem on my system was 14.0.1076 which she advised was still the latest update.

Now that I no longer have McAfee on my system, I am no longer having any issues.  Unfortunately, until McAfee can be convinced that there is an issue, they obviously won't be making any fixes!

• 9. Re: McAfee Internet Security Suite causing system crash on Windows 7 PC after update (started 27 June 2015)
                          jonnywalker

Hi yogibear.

I have also problems after the update to the same version as you. Mcafee internet security can´t update to the latest motor version.

When I do a manual update i get a message that it can´t update the program and that I should check my internetconnection. There is no problem with that. I talked to the support and he checked my computer and asked me to uninstall some browser plugins which I did. Then i uninstalled Mcafee and downloaded and installed it again. It updated the motorversion and installed Webadvisor instead of site advisor. After that the same problem again no updates could be insatalled by the Mcafee program. I will do one more try to uninstall and reinstall the program. If it won´t work I sadly most say that I will svitch to another antivirus program. I have run the MVT several times but that couldn´t solve the problem either. Those browser plugins that i removed have never caused any problems before. So I think that the problem lies in the Mcafee update version like you suggest. And the problems started the same date as with your´s.

1 2 3 Previous Next